Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigyooper

Northlander, It's almost poutin time!

74 posts in this topic

has anyone gone down to boyscout to see about conditions?

Northlander, have you ever tried it earlier, I know usually we are down there about the 3rd weekend, but I don't think we ever have ice this early.

Won't be long now!! I know the Nemadji river has been froze up since before Thanksgiving. I wouldn't quite trust Boyscout quite yet , It seems to be last area for safe ice.

But anyways... I'm ready for pout!!

Jar Jar

My favorite pout spot on the river isnt even close to ready yet. Little ice and slush on what there is. This snow sure messed it up or I would be out next week.

Ill keep ya informed Yooper.

Pout, I love pout. Keep some river ice reports updated for me.

How many guys would be interested in a St. Louis River Poutfest? Maybe the weekend before x-mas? Maybe the weekend after? Depends totally on ice conditions of course.

Maybe go $5 a head and biggest Pout takes all?

WHO'S IN?

what the heck is a pout?? If it is on a Sunday let me know would be interested

Never even seen a Pout before, but from what I hear, they sure are fun and tasty......I'd be down if someone showed me the ropes.

If Ripstick can catch a pout anybody can. All ya need is minnow heads/tails and jigging spoons or jigs.

I know how to do heads or tails but what does that have to do with spoons and jigs. blush.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif

Like I said if Ripstick can catch them anyone can! grin.gif

I caught four of the buggers fishing for walleye last year....sure are ugly buggers. never brought one home though....have heard they sure are tasty buggers though!

Woodie cut out the backstraps,cube them up, boil in Mt.Dew or Sprite and then dip in melted butter or whatever you like for a fish dip. Yummy yummy!

PoutFest I'm all in. Glow in the dark spoons.

Northlander,

You know that I'll be up for a little pouting if I'm off of work when you have the fest.

bmc is going to get back to me tomorrow and let me know what his plans for Thursday are. I'll call you after that.

Where do I find the pout on the river confused.gif. Some people would like to know smirk.gif. I think we should have a get together for pout as well smirk.gif. Well let us know when and where an I will be there grin.gif.

Usually the week between Christmas and New Years is good for Pout so I would be in for the weekend after Christmas and 5 bucks sounds good to me.

I'm all in.

Jar Jar

Jar Jar, is their a run on Amnicon? If so you should get in touch with me and we can get out.

I haven't heard of any run for years on the Amnicon but I don't think anyone jigs for them there. I know years ago they used to spear them down there. The last ten years or so the water level has been so low that I don't think they can get into the river under the ice. It would be fun to find a spot to spear like in the "old days".

Jar Jar

The Nemadji gets a nice run some years.

Skipperskid you know where the Pout are. All Over the place once they come in. Most people fish them by Boyscout though due to easy access. Make sure you check ice really good though. Whats 6" here can be 1" just a foot away.

Smelt heads on a jig or glow spoon works great. Also some of the scented paste and sprays work well for pout because scent is huge with them.

I dont know whats more fun,catching a pout or watching your buddy who has never delt with a pout,run around sceaming and shakeing his arm trying to get the thing off his arm after it wraps itself around his arm like a snake!! grin.gifgrin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif

Where do the pouts go after the spawn is over? Are they a common catch while fishing for loopers infront of the lester/french in march?

I believe they head back out to deep water, I have never seen or heard of anyone catching one off of river mouths, but I have seen them caught and caught a couple myself while jigging deep water for lakers.

Hmmmm...don't know if I'll venture out far/deep for lakers on superior, but that'll be a hot topic when that season gets closer. I do like catching pouts though, they put up a good fight and are a different change of pace. Haven't eaten one yet, hopefully I'll get a chance this year.

Well the pout will be safe this year, We got 14 inches of snow so far today and it is still falling and I live a block from the river. This is to much snow and skim ICE will it ever freeze shocked.gif.