Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grant Pearson

perch

21 posts in this topic

will be making it out this weekend with a few other FMers and we'll be going after mainly jumbos. We'll be fishing the south side of the lake. Not looking for GPS coordinates, but any help as to what depth they'll inhale my lure in and what they're biting on is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Looking at going out of Hunter WInfields, any reports would be great. Hey KF, you just wanna crash at my pad on Friday night?

Someone at work was telling me the perch in Mille Lacs had some parasite in them and they weren't safe to eat. Is this true or is he full of it?

about 1 in 7 this fall had this parasite that looks like a patch of freezer burn. The DNR does not know exactly what it is but they say it won't hurt you, but i won't eat it is a fish has it i just toss it away-not worth getting sick on some unknown parasite-it is nasty looking meat. try the isle bay area for perch 9-12 feet of water should be best, either on the rocks or find weeds. spoons are the best bet because they will get you gamefish as well. use a minnow head and then switch to a [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] once you get a keeper. grin.gif

Which parasite are you refering to?Black spot,Yellow grub or Heterosporis sp?All three are possible in (Contact Us Please) depending on which fish were talking about.All the parasites listed are fine (pose no threat to humans) as long as you cook the fish.(no sushi!)hope this helps.c63

That works for me. Thanks.

The freezer burn looking parasite is Hetrosporis sp which was first discovered in Minnesota in 1999.It is (or was)imported to us from Thiland,germany,Japan or some other country(countries).Again if you cook the fish you will not be affected from this parasite!c63

Quote:

Looking at going out of Hunter WInfields, any reports would be great. Hey KF, you just wanna crash at my pad on Friday night?

sounds good to me. earlier start. Also, work is taken care of.....

when we getting together Friday? After work or later?

Quote:

use a minnow head and then switch to a perch eye once you get a keeper.
grin.gif

many years ago I always used an eye from a perch or walleye for jigging, i was told this is not legal. law reads not being able to use gamefish or parts of gamefish for bait. I would love to know if it is legal...?

Illegal.

Not legal at all. I wouldn't risk it.

you can fuss over legalities while i'm catching fish. what would i be hurting by using a wasted piece of the carcass for bait? wink.gif

Quote:

you can fuss over legalities while i'm catching fish

It is not "fussing over legalities" - what you say you are doing is clearly illegal. Catching fish or using wasted parts of the carcass does not justify it or make it right. It is illegal and it shouldn't be done.

Well if it is not legal, you should not have to fuss, you should just adjust fire and do what is legal. If you are willing to break that law to catch more fish does that mean you would bait deer to get more venison? Why stop there why not just drop a big net down the hole a catch fish that way. Maybe just let down several dozen treble hooks baited with perch eyes for a few days at a time and just come on back out and check on them. It is a law. Whether you agree with it or not it should be followed. Who are you to decide which laws should be followed and which should be ignored. Hey on the bright side at least it is a great example to set for kids that you can do whatever you want.

can I drop a stick of dynamite down the whole too? is that legal? how about if I stick an unused part of a carcass onto it?

Quote:

can I drop a stick of dynamite down the whole too? is that legal? how about if I stick an unused part of a carcass onto it?

No, I don't wanna fall through the ice!!! I don't care if you like the law or not, you need to follow it. I had an uncle that would use a 1 inch chunk of pike tail meat and catch fish all day with it. It's illegal, don't do it. If I saw someone doing it, I would call TIP asap. Follow the laws, you can't pick and choose what you think is right or wrong.

Plus, I don't think it's right to pop an eye out of a fish...how would you like your eye being popped out? Just because you kill an animal doesn't mean you can't show it respect. And I'm sure plenty of you don't care, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:

Just because you kill an animal doesn't mean you can't show it respect.

My thought exactly. Regardless of it's a perch or a white tail, if I decide that it's going to end up in my stomach, the least I can do is give it some respect. Think of it like this: if you were going to giving your life for someone else, you would want some respect in return.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

tweedlap

Good to know the law is clear. i started fishing this lake 30+ years ago and "eyes" were what people used. I would jig in a house near my grandpas spear house. Remember when spearing was legal on mille lacs? Guess what he used for a decoy? A nice big perch. Im not sure when the law went into effect but its good to see the ethical anglers pay attention.