• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zippel Bay Resort

Just booked with them this morning for next month. I heard alot of good things about them but was wondering what others might have to say. I cannot wait to come up to the BIG POND. Also, what is the best lure/bait selection for that time of the year. We'll be coming Jan 11-13. It'll be our very first time to LOW. Whatever help we can get will be much appreciated.

if you have ever booked with any of the guys on Mille Lacs and thought that was good experience, you will be thrilled with any of the resorts up there. they are all pretty good people and they do everything they can to keep/get you on fish. i have always had nothing but good things to say about the resort that i have stayed with up there.

Zipple is a very nice resort. The time you are coming is typically some of the better fishing for the year around zipple bay area.

Out of all the places I've been too at LOW. Zippel Bay Resort has been the best. My best luck has been on a gold jig with a Shiner hooked through the back. If your using a locator and you see the fish come on the screen, dangle the jig in front of their faces and just raise it up. Typically, the larger fish will go after it more aggressively. They normally hit it so hard that all you have to do is set the hook immediately. But, I normally fish there in March. But I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Been going to Nick and Deanna's resort for 10 years, 2-5 trips a year. Four years ago built a permanent fish house up there and there very affordable for storage.

My wife and I have been going up there for charter fishing the last three years, that's when you catch the big ones. Last year got a 30 incher which was nice then the guys turn after me pulled out a 29.5 incher, we were on Nicks boat.

My dad and I are leaving at noon for our first trip up there and we're hoping to do well. In the years past emerald shiners seemed to be the ticket but last year fatheads seemed a better choice. Two years ago the water was dirty until March, made for poor fishing.

Two biggest eye's pulled out of the ice was a 4 and 4.5 pounder.

Been to a few other resorts up there and Zippels my favorite.

Thanks for all the replies. I got one other questions, do any of you think it's better/cheaper to buy baits down here in the cities before we head up or is it better to buy up by LOW?

I would not try to keep bait alive all the way from the Twin Cities. There are several good bait shops in Baudette and near LOW. I've found their pricing is comparable to my local shops. Good luck and hang on. Bill

i have not been able to find what i consider shiners up there. they have those river shiners, but they are small like fatheads. i have brought my own shiners up for tip up fishing and that has worked out pretty well. you should be able to find all the fatheads up there in baudette that you want. if you go through grand rapids, there is a great bait shop there to pick up whatever you need and that is more than half way to LOW.

remember, glow colors and gold and keep it charged up. dont be scared to try the jigging raps in glow colors up there, (they work great on aggressive fish), and watch your vex like a hawk. walleyes suspend up there in that 30 plufs foot basin and can be had. sometimes 10 feet or more off the bottom. best of luck.

Might be a good idea to double check regs for bait this year. Thought it was illegal to bring in bait from other area (essentially limiting to local bait. In the past I have always preferred the shinners from log cabin, but availability is sometimes an issue. I also recall 2 yrs ago w/the cloudy water...ppl said they'd find alot of fish with leeches inside them (haven't checked that out yet, but will for sure here in a week or two). In the end, I always end up getting both chubs and shiners and usually 1/2 the shiners die on thw way out and the chubs will last all season if kept properly. Also, don't forget to pack a plain red hook, worked well for us last year on the rattle's.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.