Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlvaj

Zippel Bay Resort

10 posts in this topic

Just booked with them this morning for next month. I heard alot of good things about them but was wondering what others might have to say. I cannot wait to come up to the BIG POND. Also, what is the best lure/bait selection for that time of the year. We'll be coming Jan 11-13. It'll be our very first time to LOW. Whatever help we can get will be much appreciated.

if you have ever booked with any of the guys on Mille Lacs and thought that was good experience, you will be thrilled with any of the resorts up there. they are all pretty good people and they do everything they can to keep/get you on fish. i have always had nothing but good things to say about the resort that i have stayed with up there.

Zipple is a very nice resort. The time you are coming is typically some of the better fishing for the year around zipple bay area.

Out of all the places I've been too at LOW. Zippel Bay Resort has been the best. My best luck has been on a gold jig with a Shiner hooked through the back. If your using a locator and you see the fish come on the screen, dangle the jig in front of their faces and just raise it up. Typically, the larger fish will go after it more aggressively. They normally hit it so hard that all you have to do is set the hook immediately. But, I normally fish there in March. But I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Been going to Nick and Deanna's resort for 10 years, 2-5 trips a year. Four years ago built a permanent fish house up there and there very affordable for storage.

My wife and I have been going up there for charter fishing the last three years, that's when you catch the big ones. Last year got a 30 incher which was nice then the guys turn after me pulled out a 29.5 incher, we were on Nicks boat.

My dad and I are leaving at noon for our first trip up there and we're hoping to do well. In the years past emerald shiners seemed to be the ticket but last year fatheads seemed a better choice. Two years ago the water was dirty until March, made for poor fishing.

Two biggest eye's pulled out of the ice was a 4 and 4.5 pounder.

Been to a few other resorts up there and Zippels my favorite.

Thanks for all the replies. I got one other questions, do any of you think it's better/cheaper to buy baits down here in the cities before we head up or is it better to buy up by LOW?

I would not try to keep bait alive all the way from the Twin Cities. There are several good bait shops in Baudette and near LOW. I've found their pricing is comparable to my local shops. Good luck and hang on. Bill

i have not been able to find what i consider shiners up there. they have those river shiners, but they are small like fatheads. i have brought my own shiners up for tip up fishing and that has worked out pretty well. you should be able to find all the fatheads up there in baudette that you want. if you go through grand rapids, there is a great bait shop there to pick up whatever you need and that is more than half way to LOW.

remember, glow colors and gold and keep it charged up. dont be scared to try the jigging raps in glow colors up there, (they work great on aggressive fish), and watch your vex like a hawk. walleyes suspend up there in that 30 plufs foot basin and can be had. sometimes 10 feet or more off the bottom. best of luck.

two words CHUBBY DARTER! cool.gif

Might be a good idea to double check regs for bait this year. Thought it was illegal to bring in bait from other area (essentially limiting to local bait. In the past I have always preferred the shinners from log cabin, but availability is sometimes an issue. I also recall 2 yrs ago w/the cloudy water...ppl said they'd find alot of fish with leeches inside them (haven't checked that out yet, but will for sure here in a week or two). In the end, I always end up getting both chubs and shiners and usually 1/2 the shiners die on thw way out and the chubs will last all season if kept properly. Also, don't forget to pack a plain red hook, worked well for us last year on the rattle's.