Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ole #1

Green Lake (near princeton)

38 posts in this topic

Hello,

Has anyone been on Green lake near princeton? Just wondering how thick the ice is.

Thanks

Ole

as of late last week there were open spots reported.....

Thats what I just heard this morning from a co-worker who lives on the lake. Geese out swiming last week. We got about 7" of snow up here and I figure if temps keep up, I plan to hit it Fri or Sat.

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully the ice improves by the weekend.

Has anyone else seen the lake recently?

Just looking for a recent ice report.

Thanks

Ole

saw three spear houses out yesterday.I didn't have time to go out and check the ice though.They were all just out in front of the landing as usual.

Does anyone know what the ice conditions for green lake or spec lake will be for this weekend.

I would say good, because I am heading out one way or another. grin.gif

Thanks again. I live about 30 miles away but I'll be driving up saturday and hopefully the ice will be thick enough.

I never was able to make it to Green, went to Minnewaska instead. If anyone has any ice reports, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

about 4 inches in 24fow off the point.

I heard this morning that a very large crack opened up yesterday from one end of lake to the other. With warm temps in future, it will be hard to refreeze.

Be careful!~ frown.gif

what do people know about Spectacle? i am new to the area and looking for a place to easily walk out to? does the 20' area to the east of the access produce any fish? i don't want anybodys secret spots, just looking for some general info.

thanks

Went out on green today 8.5" ice not sure how much is good or bad but there were alot of people out today! Even a guy with a big professonal lawn mower! Thing must have weighed 2tons! No luck for me in 23FOW just west of the landing was only out from 3 to 5:30 though. Anybody else out there this weekend?

Hey Hunter Fisher,

I fish on Spec. from time to time. The area in front of boat landing can be good sometimes, but most people go out in front of the swimming beach area. What are you planning on fishing for on Spectacle? There are alot of Notherns and Bass to catch.

Good Luck and welcome to the area. cool.gif

hey Dozer,

I was out on green yesterday and I found from 7"-10" of ice and I fished the shallows 5'-8', did not get a bite but did mark a couple fish but when the camera went down it turned out to be some small sunfish that refused waxworms or crappie minnow. Been on the Green 3 times this year and not even a bite, thats strange. Good Fishing!

I was on Green last night with 600,000 others!! grin.gifgrin.gif Between 4 guys we caught 2 perch, 1 crappie, and 1 eye in 5 or so hours. The fish were there but very closed mouthed.

Question: If somebody finds a set of keys with a pewter #20 Tony Stewart fob, could you let me know? I'm sure they're at the access.

Thanks!

Went out on green again tonite, not even a bite! Moved down to 19 fow didnt help. Didnt even see any on the vexilar. Not sure what to try now? Maybe go find that island out in the middle that comes up to 12' or whatever it is. Maybe the fish are just not biting this week?!

Dozer,

Were you the only one out there? I just got back from there looking for my keys and I didn't see anybody.

Maybe the fish are still in shock from the weekend! blush.gif

I would just like to say there's nothing better than a magnet on a stick! Three minutes and "click", found em. cool.gif

When I got there there were probly 10 or 12 trucks and only 2 when I left!

I have fished crappies and walleyes there for too many years now, and all I know is that when the weather is cold, and alot of fishing pressure (which is a given these days) they get tight lipped. I use TINY jigs or even a plain (tiny)hook with a waxy. Sinks slow, but they hit it. I have pulled some limits on that, when nothing else works. GLOW HOOKS HELP.

I finally got out to green on saturday and have to warn everyone that I was only on 4 inches of good ice, if that. There was about 4 inches of ice with an inch or two of slush and a bunch of snow on top. The first 5-7 holes I punched had about 6-7 inches but where I was fishing only had 4 and there were 4 wheelers driving on top of it by my house. I did catch fish and was fishing in 25 ft by the point. Be careful out there

Anyone been out in the last couple of days, ice thickness? Anyone out on the west side of the lake or do they mostly stay by the point and the humps?

Theres a full size pickup on the ice approx 100yds out from the point today!

Wow, that's crazy. On Saturday I was only on 5 inches of ice and I was off the point. The ice is thicker in some spots and not very thick in others. I didn't have much luck fishing though, they were there but wouldn't bite. I was in 25 ft of water.