• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time out

uwecsteeple

Got out on some ice in St. Paul all day on Saturday. We were on a solid 5 inches of clear ice with mediocre fishing. The lake was pretty shallow with a max depth of 15 ft. and we found the fish relating to green weeds. in 9 ft. of water.

Here is my view most of the day, not many fish but we were too warm to move around in the elements outside.

Image009.jpg

We did manage a little outside fishing before the storm came, it was mighty cold with the wind.

Photo-0101.jpg

One of today's hot baits was a white maki under a small forage minnow with a 6" flourocarbon dropper. The fish just inhaled it.

Photo-0309.jpg

I spent ALOT of time staring at my new toy, a aqauview scout. Holy cow is that fun, I just wish it was a little easier to align the camera with your bait.

Over all the first trip of the year was a success, but be carefull on the ice still, I went back to the lake on sunday to find that the snow made the top 2 inches of ice really slushy.

Do you have the tripod (not the electric, the manual one) for you scout? If not, I suggest getting it... It helps with turning the camera alot. I think they are about $15 or so.

There is a little outdoors store on 65 just north of Twin City Harley North that sells the best underwater tripod I have found. I bought one from them years ago and it works great. Metal construction with a polyurethane center portion. The legs are metal and have a 2 oz. weight on each of them. The center section adjusts in height from 6" off the bottom to 12" off the bottom and has an adjustable angle. Very stury and easy to use. Cheap too, only like 12 bucks. I am very much for promoting FM sponsors, but these guys have the best tripod I have used. Don't forget to wrap your camera cable with the cable structure from la dredge, camo that thing up and draw fish in with it.

Tom