• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Langton Pond-Roseville

has anyone ever fished this little lake? i tried yesteray and got 4 eally nice sunfish over 8 inches and one crappie but they were tough to get. the lake is only 5 feet deep so i had to search along time for a hole out of the weeds. does anyone know of a hole out there that is not really weedy?

I fished there on the ice once last year of found the exact same thing as you, too many weeds to really get a nice hole. I too found a couple decent fish but because of the weeds they where really scattered. I think that most of those nice sunnies die out every year and the dnr stocks the pond in spring with adult fish. I would stick with larger lakes in the area like johanna, which is less than a mile away.

you can't get 8 inch gills on any lake anywhere else near roseville so i really want to try and find a good spot so i can get more of those nice gills one i got was almost 9 inches and the crappie was a little over 10 inches and they tasted good. grin.gif

Quote:

Langton Pond can exptect some pressure soon...

Yep.

Someone should delete this post soon because the pond is managed as a kid's fishing pond. Please don't abuse this little spot. According to the DNR they stock it each year with bluegill and crappie. If you want to bring your kids out there fine, but otherwise you might want to leave it be. Please try to respect what the DNR is trying to provide with that little pond.

Excerpt from the DNR page...

Langton Lake is managed as a Kid's Fishing Pond. Shore and pier fishing are available. The lake is subject to winterkill, and therefore is annually stocked with panfish in the spring. Over 1100 small (approximately 5 inch) bluegill were stocked in May of this year (2000). They showed exceptional growth - by June the fish had grown to an average size of 6.5 inches, and by October to an average size of 8 inches. Pumpkinseed and hybrid sunfish (also from the May stocking) were sampled in low numbers in June. Black bullhead were sampled in low numbers, with an average length of 5.3 inches. Annualy spring stocking of panfish is planned to continue.

If it does indeed freeze out every year and stocked annually then I think the kids will still get plenty of fish. That being said I doubt all the fish die and would still practice selective harvest letting the big fish live. Personaly I wouldnt give out names of lakes I get good pannies out of, especially small metro ones.

The lake is only 5 feet deep-every fish in it will be dead by christmas. that is why i went there first ice. why not catch a few of them before they freeze out.

I fished Langton several times last year with good results. Several large 8+ gills and some nice 10-12 crappies. I didn't keep many and threw most of them back. I agree that if it is restocked every year that it won't hurt the kids fishing. Just don't keep all the large ones from this little honey hole.

You'd be suprised There is a pond near my house about two acres max. depth of six feet and has crappies, sunnies, bass and pike. While there isnt much size to the fish they some how manage survive the winters. Spring fed maybe?

The DNR was in there in October removing a bunch of bluegills and crappies. Then they stocked them in a few other places. I guess the DNR stocks bluegills and crappies in Langdon in the spring and remove as many as they can in the fall. Sounds like expensive musical fish to me.

I agree. Spots like this that are good should not be shared with everyone. If you see a other angler out there just say hi, and ask if they are a member on this forum. Who knows mabey it could be me.

Quote:

Maybe the numbers were so good there they decided to take some out. I'm sure there are still some good fish in there.

No, I talked to them and they said they were removing as many as possible before they killed out. The DNR bringeth and the DNR taketh away.

hopefully we can remove the rest. maybe we should have a FM get together out there before it freezes out. I think we would be doing a good thing. grin.gif

this pond is dead now i bet theres a million shacks on it oh its funny how we all here of some little honey hole and flock to it. personally everytime i do this i go out to the pond talk to every guy i can and nobody ever catches jack but im probably to late.......................and the fish r gone

I just got back from Langton pond. 2 hours of drilling and scanning with the locator and never found a fish. I was on the south end, out from the fishing pier. I also tried the north side of the little bridge and the ice was pretty bad. I never found anything deeper than 3.5 feet. I was hoping to take my kids fishing there this weekend. Dang!

TRZ - Thanks for the heads up on this lake. I only get to fish a few times a year and appreciate the info. It's nice to know that the FIN - Fishing in the Neighborhood - program and lakes like Langton Pond exist.

has anyone got out there to find some of them slabs? too bad you took your kids and got blanked it was a tough bite you needed to be quiet and fish about 1.5ft below the ice, not the best for kids. I still want to hit this lake again and see if i can get some 10 inch gills I think they may be in there, i got one that was almost 9 inches. grin.gif

Langton will occasionally provide some nice panfish for kids if the winters are mild and the water levels are good the fish will crossover and survive.

Since the pond has a good amount supply of forage all year fish can expect to gain weight and grow fast.

To me Langton is nothing more than a Childrens fishing drainage pond. It may occasionally have a spike in fish numbers but winterkill or summerkill takes care of that. That why it's stock frequently every year. I would not keep fish out of there for many reasons. I don't recommend it for ice fishing either. But it's nice in the Spring & Summer for the little ones to get introduced to fishing. It's no secret or super fishing hole but feel free to try it out if your bored and have no other destination.