• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sand Bags

fishinJohn

Question

How much weight in sand bags is good for a half ton pickup?

Thanks, my back end slides out pretty easy.

9 answers to this question

i have six 40# bags in between the wheel housings on my F150. it certainly helps. but remember that having loose bags or aything else can be dangerous. del

I run 4 60# tubes in my F-150 in the winter time. Once I place them in my bed (2 on each side) they really don't slide/move at all. I have them positioned such that I can still also slide my portable in/out with ease.

When my wife was driving the truck in the winter, I had snowtires on the back and 10 70-pounders in the box. It took a lot of snow to slow it down.

I agree (saftey first)anything that is unsecured behind you when traveling foreward is a potential for disaster.Even small items (wrench or tools)in the rear of pickup can be trouble in a collision.Just think of a 40 lb sandbag hitting you in the head at say 40mph."OUTCH!"c63

They are handy for other things, too. Last year when I had my Geo Tracker out ice fishing, I got stuck on the lake, I cracked one sand bag open, and put a little sand under the tire, worked good

I have caps on both my trucks so I use water softner salt, when winter is over I use it in the softner, call me cheap but weight is weight..

Actually sand works better on lake than salt which will weaken the ice below : shocked.gif

When done you can add sand to your driveway or store it until next spring.

4 months of plastic salt bags in the back means some will break and you will have salt all over your bed, rust will make holes in 1 month, in spring your truck will look like swiss cheese.