• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cleaning guns

bhs91

I have 2 browning, BPS guns and would like to thoroughly clean them before I put them away for the season. How hard is it, what are some good lubricants/solvents and what are some tips for me since i have never done this. I have cleaned the barrels numerous times, but I would like to completely disassemble it this time. Thanks for any help.

BHS

For your solvents question I use brake clean in a aerisol can, then remington spray, ( rem oil ). Seems to work good for me.

couple of differnt things to mention.

Brake cleaner works great, but it can take the finish of your guns. Some will dissolve the stain and polyeurathane finish. I learned this the hard way, be careful not to let any brake cleaner get on the wood. A safer bet is to buy the gun scrubber spray. It is more expensive but a little safer to use. I have used both and I am now back to using the gun scrubber.

AS for complete disassembly. I am not as familiar with the brownings as I used to be but most guns are similar.

The steps I follow.

1. first I remove the barrel cap and barrel.

2. There should be one or two in the lower portion of the reciever, pop thes pins out with a punch or other tool and make sure you don't lose them. Pull out the trigger assembly. This is easy in some guns but others you may have to shove it forward or pull it back, or slide it up, then back, etc.. you'll have to check on that.

3. Remove the bolt and forearm. The brownings that I am used to have a lever on the bottom of the bolt that you should be able to see pretty clearly now that the trigger assembly is gone. You may need to press that in with your finger as you pull the bolt out using the forearm. Once the bolt is out, it should come off the slide. you now have your gun in about 5 pieces that should be easy to clean.

I use an old toothbrush for dirt and grime. If I spray out anything with the gun scrubber (brake cleaner) I use rem oil to lube it. I use old soft sweatshirt material for aplying oil as it won't leave lint. This might not fit your gun perfectly, but most guns are similar.

I took my BPS apart once...ONCE. I swore I would never do it again. I've taken many guns apart and put them back together and never encountered one that was nearly as big a pain as a BPS.

If you don't know what you are doing, take it to the gunsmith and let them do it.

What lawdog said. I'm a little slower learner - maybe took my BPS apart twice.

You'll find it comes apart quite easy. Then you are at least three fingers short on re-assembly. I've thought about using some heavy grease to stick the keepers and slides to the side of the receiver, then removing the grease when done.

Craig

Quote:

Brake cleaner works great, but it can take the finish of your guns. Some will dissolve the stain and polyeurathane finish. I learned this the hard way, be careful not to let any brake cleaner get on the wood.

Yes thank you for pointing that out! I try to keep all solvents off of the wood finish, I just wipe the wood down with a cloth with rem oil on it.

I have an older bps that I took apart to clean and i still am trying to put it back together I am planning on taking it in to get it switched to modifyed barrow if i would do it again get your self a can of gun scrubber and spray it and blow it out with compressed air and repeat a few times this will be a real messy when you are done lube it up with break free lube i have been having real good luck with it . i used to use it for my cattail hunting but now I use an stoeger auto and clean it everytime i get done using it . The bps is a good gun but a (Contact Us Please) to put back together .

I have taken apart many guns of different makes and models, I have never taken apart a browning BPS, if it is a difficult as the guys say on here, you might want to consider taking it somewhere. I am speaking of personal experience of brownings, berettas, winchesters, benellies, and stevens but, I have never taken apart a BPS. Listen to the owners, every gun has been different. I remember trying to get the barrel off of the stevens and had to look at it for a long time before I realized that barrel was pressed on and it didn't come off. Some guns can be a real pain, and there is nothing worse than the feeling of taking a gun apart and not knowing if your going to have a functioning gun after you get done. confused.gif

Not the same firearm, but a good story and something to remember.I took a Ruger semiauto pistol apart once for the same reason, a thorough cleaning. Anyway after I put it back together it would not funtion. I disassembled and reassembled it a half dozen times, NO LUCK. OK I am thinking to myself. Self you have another one just like this one, just take it apart slowly and pay attention to how it comes apart. Needless to say I now had 2 of them laying in pieces on the kithen table and could not get either one together and working. Finally after what seemed like forever I figured it out. It had something to do with having 4 hands and standing on your head. [and finding the owners manual] So think before you leap!

I took my BPS apart twice. The first time (after 3 hours) I got it back together. Dumb luck.... The second time I wasn't so lucky. after two hours and countless swear words I put it in a gun case and took it to the old Bloomington Burger brothers. I told them I had a gun that I need help reassembling. The gunsmith said, "So you have a Browning BPS". This was before I even took the gun out of the case.

They did a thorough cleaning and reassembled it. I think it cost around $60 (many years ago though).

Bring it to a professional. It will save you hours of aggravation.

Its still agreat gun though!!!

I was just wondering if anybody tried the foaming bore cleaner yet? I can't remember the name but it's in a blue can with a tube on the side. I tried it on 2 rifles this fall and it worked great! I can't see why it wouldn't work on shotgun barrels since it really foams good! It got a lot of lead out of the barrels I mean a lot!

I also use CLP mostly for lubing and Rem Oil too. I use CLP because it's all we used in the Army for cleaning and lubing.

I also use Gun Scrubber aerosol for cleaning trigger groups.

Please use safety glasses when using it... blush.gif just trust me on that one! It doesn't take off carbon buildup though. I usually end up using brass brushes and my knife for that. I try not to let it get on the outside of the gun since it seams to really dry out (white residue) the metal. Make sure to lube anything Gun Scrubber touches!

If you have a manual for your firearm read it before disassembly. I learned the hard way with many swear words, that it's much easier with diagrams in front of you for reassembly!

For older guns or ones with no manual, Brownells has many schematics on line as well as tons of factory parts just in case. Google them.

Good luck,

Ferny.

Yes. I've used it. Foaming Bore Snake (Hoppes is what I used) works well. It would be great if you had to clean guns without rods, jags, patches, brushes, etc, but who here doesn't have this stuff in sizes for all of the guns you have in your collection? In is every bit as good a bore cleaner as most on the street (it IS Hoppes after all) synced with the cool properties of a foaming agent (I LOVE the Drano Foaming Pipe snake). But in the meantime, I've got the time to moisten a patch or mop, then swab it through and then let it sit. But I can't deny the effectiveness of the product for routine cleaning.

/owns a big bottle of cleaners and all the tools.....

Glad to know I was not the only BPS dummy! I still take it apart a few times a year due to field hunting etc. but I have an expectation that it will take a few beers to get it back together. I would never buy one again just for that reason, what a pain!