Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

Bait stores!!

28 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can get minnows (shiners and suckers) in the St. Paul area? Bait shops seem to be harder to find today with lots of them closing. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

How bout Joe's sporting goods on 36 and rice street.

I usually go to Blue Ribbon on Century & stillwater in Oakdale, there is also Gimps on Rice and Maryland.

Thankyou!

Another Question. Anyone know of a bait shop that doesn't charge $4.50 for a 1/2 dozen shiner minnows??!! Cripes, that is almost a dollar per minnow. I don't think I am going to be going back to White Bear Bait and Tackle again! frown.gif

GoggleEye

A New Bait shop Opened up In Newport This summer . Right off 61. Also a guy sells Bait out of a thrift store in south st paul on concord street.

eyesonly - Have you checked out the shop in Newport yet? That's where I'm planning on going when fishing in the metro and was wondering if it was any good. Or if anyone else has been there, how is it?

i havent been there, but a friend of mine said there wasnt a lot of variety. to be fair though, he was looking for catfish bait at the time, so im sure you can get most of what youd be looking for as far as ice fishing. ill be headed in there this coming weekend. ill let you know if you want.

bgreen - that would be great. I'll be out of town fishing this weekend, but I'm planning on heading out in the metro somewhere on Monday. Let me know what they've got there. Thanks.

Jwhjr-

I thought the selection was pretty decent actually - They even had Redtails for this Fall. I didn’t really check out the tackle selection though-I hope they can Make it work -Its pretty nice having someone close.

You cannot beat Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale. Great local guy owns the place with an emphasis on the east side community. Give Josh a try the shop is just north of century/hwy 120 and Stillwater road.

I second Blue Ribbon, but also go talk with Carl or Jim at Little Bear Bait on hwy 61 and 96 in WBL. When you spend some time they will talk your ear off and good guys.

I also like Bald Eagle Bait farther north on hwy 61 by Bald Eagle. All great places, especially if you spend a few bucks in their stores. wink.gif

Thanks eyesonly. bgreen82 - did you get a chance to get in there this weekend? If so, what did you think?

didnt get out fishing like i wanted. the wife and i got some shopping done. it wasnt all bad though. i get my xmas gift to myself, an fl-8. only time spent on the ice was tonight trying it out for the first time. brought it out to the pond on 70th and hardwood if you know where that is.

Yep, I know the one. Did you mark any of those monster bluegills or crappies? grin.gif

oh yeah, monsters in there. shocked.gif the only fish i have ever heard about are the stocked ones in spring of 06, and i think they were all gone by august. i remember they had a take a kid fishing day there, and nobody was catching anything. a friend of mine said he used to catch bullies in there, but i doubt there are even many of those left. by the way, do you ever fish ravine?

I had my kids down at the pond a few times during the summer and they pulled in a couple small sunnies, but not enough to keep them interested for very long. I haven't been down to ravine, but I've been planning to at some point.

The best place to get bait in the metro is the old Gimp's Bait on Rice St. just north of Maryland Ave. in St. Paul. I think it's called Xiong Bait. He always gives many more minnows than what you pay for, good quality too! Unfortunately, due to his father's death, he will not be at the store until December 14th. Although they are open, I recommend you wait until Mr. Xiong's return. Though I may be bias, this little inner St. Paul shop should not be ignored. Check it out for yourself.

is that the one just north of the capitol building a ways.

It's about a mile north from the capital on Rice St.

I stopped by the bait shop in Newport today and picked up some Suckers and crappie minnows. They had a good selection and I'll be visiting again. One of the guys working there had just gotten back from going out on the pond at 70th and Hardwood. Some of his buddies were still there and had a couple of shacks out on it. I had to chuckle. grin.gif I guess one of them did pull in a bullhead though.

awesome, maybe we should have an fm get together out there haha. they dont sell frozen smelt there do they?

I will also second Gimps bait. I live not too far from Gimps and Joes and when ever I go there he loads me on the bait. Even gives me tips on fishing areas. Great inner city bait shop and you know there aint much of those around anymore.

bgreen82 - I wasn't looking for it so I didn't notice if they had it or not. If I remember next time I'm in I'll take a look. They were generous with what they gave me though.