Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justinfishmn

slot limit

13 posts in this topic

hey the slot just changed do you think we might be able to get a walleye dinner again or should we practice a little C&R to get the fish population back up?

tuff question huh!

If you can catch a few within the slot by all means have a nice meal they are few and far between. Good Luck

Thre'e nothing wrong with keeping a few for the frying Pan. Practice C & R when you have enough for a meal.

Keep a few now and again for a meal, but I would be a little conservative this year....the surveys showed declining numbers. I guess if you want to have good year classes and catch rates in the future....back off from harvesting as many as you did in recent years. Good luck all.

GoggleEye

Never understand why if people want to eat fish they down't just get some pannies for the table. Leave the eye's in the lake so we can all catch a couple of times.

"Never understand why if people want to eat fish they down't just get some pannies for the table. Leave the eye's in the lake so we can all catch a couple of times."

If you believe in catch and release, by all means, practice. If you prefer to keep one, two, or your limit, by all means do so. I will never cease to be amazed at the condesention to frying up a few walleys on this site. I love to eat walleye and will keep doing so, if you do not, so be it.

Hopefully everyone will do what both of us just mentioned!!! It's been a blast up there these past few years- size wise. Hate to see things go South. Shoot me an e-mail sometime. mpothen@intricon.com

By all means, take your daily limit of walleyes or panfish. If you already have fish in the freezer, let em go so they can grow (and pro-create!). Who knows, maybe that 18 or 19 inch walleye you release may be caught by your grandson or grandaughter down the road and it will be 30 inches and a trophy of a lifetime for them! I am heading up to the pond this weekend for my first trip of the ice fishing season, I am pumped. Probably will start off on the south end in one of the bays and work my way out spudding and drilling holes checking ice depths. Definitely will be getting my exercise this weekend walking and pulling all my gear. Good luck to anyone who makes it out.

GoggleEye

I don't get out and get walleye often enought to worry too much. I like to keep a couple of the table when I do catch them. But I release as well. What is the slot this time of year up there?

can keep em under 20" and one over 28". everything between 20 and 28 you have to let go.

thanks. good to know. they're better tasting when they're under 20", I think anyway.

So it went back to the normal slot? Good to know, wasn't sure if it was still going to be the 2" slot they had in the fall.

it went back to normal slot as of the first of December i do believe