Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kokke

River Ice Fishing

9 posts in this topic

I'm new to crookston this year and would like to get some walleye fishing done this winter. I guess my question is; do people fish in town on the river and are there any special tactics to walleye fishing on the river?

Yea the river is pretty good, only hooked into one last year but it was a 24", the mudpuppies are quite a suprise though. I usually just go off the landing down by the library and the time of the day doesnt really matter but the best is after dark. Pretty shallow there under 10ft, and glow seems to do pretty good. Do you go to UMC?

Yeah I just transfered to UMC this year......the last three years I've been fishing between grand rapids and bemidji and the river fishing is something a little new for me

Yea the current is a little bit weird when your line just wants to go to one side of the hole. I havent been out there yet this year but I have seen a few ppl out there already. But other than that its about the same as fishing on a lake.

I am in the same boat as kokke, transferred to UMC and don't fish rivers much, especially through the ice. Is there a certain depth I should look for, any deep holes or structure? Or just punch a few holes and wait?? Have there been ATVs out yet or just people on foot? Thanks for any info!

Yea, I guess the current is the best to fish in and there isnt a whole lot of structure as far as i know. Seemed to be kinda a rocky/sandy bottom. I havent seen any fourwheelers out there yet and no idea what the ice is yet but jeremiah did more fishing out there last year than i did. Im figgering that you are G. King?

barr0404

Yea, I'm guessing this is Tom?

Yes, people do fish in town but more people go to the lakes. The river isn't bad though, especially if you don't want to drive. I went out by central park (library) a couple times last year and the current wasn't noticeable, at least where I was. There's not really any special techniques. Just use more weight if there is current. As far as how deep to fish, you'll have to figure it out. Just be aware that the ice thickness can vary quite a bit on the river so be cautious.

Also, look back a couple pages and you might dig up some useful info.

Has anyone been out on the river in crookston yet? What is the ice thickness?