• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bloomington Area

Coming home tonight there where 3 guys out on Penn Lake. First I have very seen anyone out on that lake. Has anyone gone by Bush Lake. Last year I saw there was some springs in that lake so not sure if Bush would be one I would want to run out on real quick.

My wife drove by there this morning and saw a few guy drilling holes, pretty much straight out from the lauch. Didn't see anybody this afternoon, but there is still open water from the point past the beach. So I would be careful out there. I have a deal with the wife that I don't go out until there's a good 6-7 inches of solid ice. Wasn't aware of any springs...... Do you have any info on them?

CJH

I guess you are talking about Bush and not Penn. I am not from this area but last year when I moved here I went to Bush and there was 6 or 7 inches of inch early in the season and around the edges by the beach you could see were springs had come up and drilled small holes in the ice. It was close to shore but if they are there than they are elsewhere. Be safe and good luck.

I was on Bush this afternoon. Basically straight out from the launch on about 9-15 ft of water. Didn't dare go out another 20 or 30' to get to the 20' depths.

Had between 4-6 inches of ice on the parts I was on tho. Kinda scary when 50' away is open water and waves tho.

Most of the lake is still wide open. It's really only the shallow flat on the South side that has any ice on it.

The last DNR netting recorded a couple wallies out of there but I dont believe the numbers are great. This is more of a northern, bass, crappie and even a rare muskie lake. Maybe someone else would know different. Just what I have seen and heard.

Thanks for the info Daveyred. I have fished it for a few years and haven't caught any wallies or seen anybody cath them. Its mainly pike and pannies. I've caught a few good bass out of there, but nothing like what I have heard it used to be. Not a great lake, just close to my house! smile.gif

Be safe out there. I think I am going to wait a week or two yet, especially with the snow.

Bush just froze the other day, I would not walk out there especially near the swim beach. There was a very large area of open water until 2 nights ago. Now with a layer of snow on top, ice will be spotty at best.

Thanks for the update. Who knows how long its going to take with the snow!! Please keep giving ice updates who ever gets out there, so everybody is informed and stays safe!!

Good luck this season!

CJH

Drove by the Access on the south end, and walked out checking every 100' across the lake from west to east: No less than 6" of pretty clear ice in any of the holes. This is the part of the lake that had frozen well before snow had fallen, so take it for what it is.

DO NOT take this to mean that I am saying the whole lake is safe!!!

I saw a portable on the West side of Bush this afternoon. Probably over about 10' of water. You wouldn't catch me out on that side since there really wasn't any ice there a week ago.

Sure looked like fun though!

Just drove by and saw 2 people straight out from the lauch in the middle. Didn't have time to stop and ask them how thick it was.

Anybody get out there is past weekend or have any reports? confused.gif

I am going to try and get out next weekend, so I should be able to give an ice report then.

Was out there Friday bucket fishing on a smaller pond in the area, and had some weird looking ice. It held, but I was nervous. There's about 6" of ice, covered by and inch of wet slush, and another inch of semi-frozen slush. Water was shooting out of open holes like I've never seen before. I was in a spot that had had some open holes earlier in the week, and there was close to 3" of water on top of the ice. Not a fun fishing experience. Hopefully it will lock up by the weekend. It is dangerous walking, so be prepare to roll into a fall.

Quote:

Just drove by and saw 2 people straight out from the lauch in the middle. Didn't have time to stop and ask them how thick it was.

That was probably me and this other guy I met out there. He said he was going out the last couple of days with big suckers and tip ups but hadn't caught anything yet.

I brought my 14 year old boy and the Voyager out there last Friday night and we pulled in a bunch of little paper mouths.

Had a nice ~26" pike on yesterday at about 2:00 over 20' of water. He bit on a 1/16oz jig and a Berkley micro.

Fun little lake and not to bad a hike from the launch. I don't think there are many Wallys at all but there are loads of blue gills, black crappies, and pike. I've even heard of some bass but never brought one in.

I didn't measure but by eyeballing it was 4"-6" of clear ice covered by a couple inches of frozen slush most everywhere on the South basin.

I've been going out there for weeks. The first couple times we wore life jackets just to be safe. I've always heard there were springs in that lake and I don't know where they are.

I might be out there tomorrow again if I don't hit another lake.

That's a little disapointing. It doesn't sound like it is getting any better, despite the cold weather....... frown.gif

I just got a fishtrap Guide last weekend and can't wait to give it a try!!

You should be fine with your guide. I had the Voyager out a couple weeks ago. Just go to the boat launch and follow all the sled tracks. You'll see where you can follow the trails left to the 22' hole or go right to the weedline.

My son really wants to go out again so we will probably have the house out on Friday and Saturday if we don't go hit up some Minneapolis lakes.

Didn't make it over to Bush today. Went out on Long Meadow instead.

I will probably go out Saturday with a buddy. I am still a little hesitant, but hopefully the cold weather today and tomorrow will make a difference.

Doesn't look like there is a ton of snow out there, as you can see some bare spots when driving by.

How was dragging your Voyageur out there?

Thanks for the info!!

Was out on Saturday afternoon/night with a buddy. We saw 5-7in of ice everywhere we checked on the south bay. Fishing was slow, caught a couple small crappies and gills.

It was good to be out! The new Guide worked awesome!!! Can't wait to get out again!!

CH

Quote:

How was dragging your Voyageur out there?

Last time I was out there was a good amount of snow. Pulling the voyager through snow is tough with all the gear in it. I wouldn't want to hike much more than 1/2 mile through snow.

On ice is a different story. I usually have to worry about it running me over smile.gif. I could easily hike out for miles on glare ice.

• 2 weeks later...

We were out on Bush again last night. Had anywhere from 12-17 inches of ice under the fresh snow over the south basin.

Lots of crappie action. We intended to work towards the weedline to hopefully catch some pike but were too worn out from dragging the house through the snow and drilling those deep holes to move again. Plus the crappies were giving us just enough action to keep us entertained.

Glad to see some info on the Bloomington lakes as I live halfway between Bush and Penn lake. I see this thread started with a question on Penn lake. I've always wanted to fish it but too nervous to try as I never see anyone else fish it plus I believe there is an aerator in that lake making for some sketchy ice. I think its loaded with small crappies and sunnies. I'd like to hear from anybody who has ventured out there.

Any good time of day to try Bush? Fished it last year once with no success. Caught a 4+ lb bass there is last summer and saw someone catch a bigger than mine.

Quote:

Glad to see some info on the Bloomington lakes as I live halfway between Bush and Penn lake. I see this thread started with a question on Penn lake. I've always wanted to fish it but too nervous to try as I never see anyone else fish it plus I believe there is an aerator in that lake making for some sketchy ice. I think its loaded with small crappies and sunnies. I'd like to hear from anybody who has ventured out there.

ive fished it twice this winter and havent caught anything.I was mostly trying to find the "deeper" hole right off the main point but could never find it.Its about 7 ft,yes there is an aerator but i heard that they arent turning it on this year but i could be wrong.If you can find the hole i think it would definatly we worth fishing

Quote:

Any good time of day to try Bush? Fished it last year once with no success. Caught a 4+ lb bass there is last summer and saw someone catch a bigger than mine.

I've had good luck out there anytime. I haven't tried early morning yet but all other times have worked. When you can't get a pike to bite it seems you can always count on the crappies.

Earlier this year while I was out there another guy fishing talked about pulling a 9lb bass out of the lake once. If it's true, that would be a heck of a sight.

I've never fished Penn on the ice. I think it has a 7' max depth. I wouldn't be surprised if it winter kills. There are just too many better options around -- in my opinion.

When I lived in Bloomingtom we would fish Penn for Crappies. Many nites only tiny fish, but you catch some they are nice sized.

Quote:

Small ponds hold big secrets.

yea they do!I heard they tried to stock tigers in there but they died out.Is that true?If any survived they have got to be huge