• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine lake

Ya it was kind of a mess out there today. We picked up some trash when we were scoping out our spot.

I found 12-14 inches of ice. It seemed pretty slow out there except for the perch. One guy said he got a couple crappies but that was about it. Im just glad to see that the ice is finnaly moving in the right direction.

I will hopfully be able to take my truck out soon. I was a little leary of driving out but I saw a big old suburban and a couple of suv's in other spots. I took my rice rocket out there and pulled my fish house and one of my freinds without a problem. Maybe after this cold spell I will work up the guts to take the truck out, but not quite yet.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadeye

• ameyers41

• floorguy

• TrentPlymouth

Sorry, but you won't see me driving out anytime soon. I was out on the north end of the lake yesterday morning and found 8-10" of total ice with the top 2-3" of that being slush ice. Also, be careful of the springs!

Question? I have been going out from medicine on the west side by the park. Is there a good way to access the lake on the north or north east side? I have been wanting to try the other side of the lake but dont feel like hiking it all the way from the west side.

Thanks much.

Hows the fishing been for you all. its been a little spotty for me but still fun!

There is French Park on the NE side which you would access off Rockford Rd. There's also a park on the SE side which is accessed off 169 and Plymouth (I think) along the west frontage rd. The east side is always less busy, but beware, it's a MUCH further walk to structure. I love going out from French, but I drag an otter cabin by hand, and it is not fun. The west is more popular because the places to fish are so much closer to the access.

If you go off the SE park side, stop in at Harty's and pick up some bait. They've always been helpful and friendly to me.

Thanks much I will for sure stop at Harty's. I was thinking the east side may be worth a try just to get away from some of the crowds. Is there a fee for French park or a pass needed?

Free parking, no pass needed. One note, you have to be out of French Lake park by sunset or you will get a ticket.

I was out Sunday on the north end just out from French Park beach and found about 16 inches of ice a several Mt. Dew cans.

I also went straight across to the reeds and found slush. What causes this, a crack through the ice? Moved over to the gathering in the west side of that North end and caught a couple small sunnies. First fish of the year through the ice for me.

Anyone know how the deepest part of the lake fishes? Seems like no one ventures out that far. Not that it's far, but there's no parking anywhere near it.

Hey Broman - I don't think you have to be out of French by sunset. I think you have to be out by 10pm. I called about 3 weeks back and that's what they told me. I've been out from there three times, the latest being about 9pm, and have had no ticket. The cops/park patrol has driven by when I was loading up and they haven't said anything to me.

I don't want to give bad info, but that's what I'm going with. If anyone else has been told otherwise, I'd like to know. I can call again for clarification.

Not trying to change the subject here but are most people driving out of Hartys now after the cold temps the last few days? I haven't been out there for about 4 days and was just curious. I know I was measuring a little over 14" of good ice wherever I poked a hole last time out.

Also, since I'm new to this area and this lake I was wondering what the pike fishing is like with tipups? Thanks for your time guys, have a good one!

I would double check with the park police themselves. I have gotten bad info from them in the past that has resulted in tickets and very "heated" discusions with the park 5-0.

Last year the female officer was on the loudspeaker screaming at the anglers to get off the ice and get out of the park at like 5:00 pm. When we hoofed it back up to the truck we got lectured about how bad of citezens we are because we didn't leave when the park closed (she said it was sunset). I didn't appreciate that very much, so I haven't been back at the park since then. I didn't end up with a ticket that time but we kind of got in a yelling match.

The main point is that I called to make sure that I could park there after dark, and the people I talked too said it was ok, but it was another story when it actually came down too it. I try to be respectful to all officers of the law, but when one person tells you one thing and another tells you something else it gets a little hairy, especially when its not the first time that it has happened.

Rant Off!

Most everyone drives in at Harty's. There used to be a couple people that would go in from French Park, but I haven't seen that yet this year. As, Medecine Man said, the ice at the north end wasn't as thick. Plus, there is at least one spring area that im aware of, so I haven't had the guts to drive up that way. I have driven only where I have checked the ice, so I don't end up on the evening news.

Any ice reports for Medicine today? I'm curious how much ice we added through our little cold spell. I know a couple buddys that have been driving suvs out of Hartys and I'm planning on driving mine out tonight. Last I saw was 14" but that was Monday night so I'm hoping we added another inch or so. Any reports will be appreciated, thanks.

Well, I was out and found 14 inches of ice on the souther end. I did see that up at the north end there was some spotty ice. I drilled some holes that were close to 15 inches and then not 25 feet away there was one with 10 inches. Makes a little nervous about driving out there.

We did get into the sunnies pretty good at dusk. They were anywhere from 22-14 feet of water.

I was out 2 nights ago and found 17" in one area then the next area was about 14", I was driving a full size truck with no problems, caught 1 walter 20" long, about 3lbs, 18' water just before dark.

i am heading out there tomorrow for the first time for eyes and dont know where to start any ideas would be appreciated

Well I headed out to Medicine yesterday (Sunday) for the first time this ice season. Got set-up at about 3:45 pm on a drop-off. I fished in 20 FOW and my tip-up was 20 feet away in 13 FOW. Lots and lots of small perch for the first hour and a half....and then a 6 inch walleye! Just before dark the perch vanished, only to have a red blob show up and whack me good!!! Pulled it up and it was about a 4 pound Northern. Fished for a little while longer and caught a 10 inch walleye......I am excited to get out on this spot again this week. Will report if I get into any waldos worth chatting about.

I've had my permanent out on Medicine all year and all I've pulled in are small perch and small walleyes in 20 FOW. Hoping to go out one of these nights and move the house to some deeper water, hopefully we'll have some better results. I accidentally kicked a bottle of blackberry brandy down my hole last weekend, that was the most excitement I had friday and saturday night, the fishing was pretty dead. Good luck!

I went out again last night. We got on the water and had a line in at 4:20 pm. I went to the same drop off spot...except this time I set up in 28 FOW. From 4:20 to 8pm we caught some small perch, some small crappies and two small walleyes. Nothing to write home about, but the vexi was active all evening and we had a great time!

Morgan7c, I will be fishing for that bottle of blackberry brandy!! Yum. If I pull er in, I'll be sure to find you and share a little!

Whats the ice like out there? I got to get out there quick, the best crappie bite should be coming up about now. I will probably be heading out tommorow night.

Was out there today and there was all kinds of trucks driving out there. Ice was relatively thick compared to other lakes that i have been on. somewhere between 14" to 18" i would have to say.

Note: Didn't catch that bottle of schnapps either grin.gif

Yeah I still haven't got that bottle back either. I could see it on the bottom but the odds of me ever hooking it in 20 FOW is very slim. In regards to the people asking about ice conditions the ice is solid. I've been pulling the house around with my Jeep the last week or so with no problems and many people have been driving full size trucks for awhile now. I hear there are springs in this lake so I stay away from areas without any tracks. Good luck everyone, stay safe.