• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine lake

Hey Joe,

I read the post you put up and saw that you referred to my post about having a "Bad experience" last summer. I did not mean to get you fired up about it. I live just down the road and I swung by your baitshop on a Saturday around 2 pm. Store was closed. There was an older lady talking to me from upstairs saying that no one was here right now to sell me bait. Pretty annoyed to have to drive to another baitshop 7 miles away only to come back to fish Medicine. It probably was a freak thing, and I apologize for attacking your reputation on one experience....I have bought bait and tackle several times there and you guys have always been great.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deadeye

• ameyers41

• floorguy

• TrentPlymouth

Hey Joe

Met you last winter on first outing to Med in January. Thanks for the access point on the east side. Makes life easier once we get a solid sheet of ice. The hike I had last weekend definitly was good for my heart but wasted a lot of fishing time!

Anyfishaldo will see you soon.

Well said, Joe. Good to see you, yesterday. Glad another season is up and running. Things were hit and miss, yesterday, with a flurry at sunset. It was my first time out for the year, so it was a pleasure either way.

Thanks for the words about the troops. I have several friends over there right now, and my old unit just got back this fall.

Happy holidays and I hope the shop has a great year.

I was out yesterday afternoon/evening. Pretty uneventful. Marked a few, couldn't get them to bite. Tried everything. Shiners, fatheads, buck shots, chubbys (maybe should have tried the kitchen sink). Hooked two by lost them halfway up. Normally, I fish with others, but it was really nice fishing alone for the first time this year.

Thanks for the bait Joe! Will hopefully be back saturday afternoon.

Was out this morning from about 9:30-noon and only found a few small perch to bite anything, fished with minnow heads and some wax worm on some jigging spoons and flu flus but nothing to brag about. found the perch at about 20-21 ft right above the bottom. Looking foward to getting a chance to try around sunset and hopefully find some crappies. Looked for a couple of the deep holes but didn't want to waste all day wandering to find a spot that might not produce anyways. Nice day out and it looked like it was starting to get busy as I left, hope some people had good luck today!

I'd pay for anyone to tell me where the fish are. I haven't had a single bite, for the sixth time i've been out.

Parking is free in the three rivers park district parks, according to their website for personal/family vehicles.

Trent - Sounds like between you and me, we could tell everyone where NOT to fish.

Crappies are biting right after dark in 20 to 25 fow in the west by the boat launch. Caught my limit but all were small which was catch and release. Just a ton of them... Caught them on glow in the dark green jig head with wax worms or minnow heads. Good luck.

Out again this afternoon/evening. Picked up a 19 and a 16 inch walleye in about 21 ft of water. One on a fathead and one on a shiner, and both before 4:30. Got quiet after that. Considering my last couple trips, it's baby steps in the right direction.

Fished Sunday on the west side. Had my usual mixed bag but no size. The sunfish was 6-7", perch 3-6" and the one crappie was 6". I found a group at 25-30 feet after 6:00pm but not very interested in my bag of goodies. Must have wanted moms cookies. Lots on the vex suspended.

Hey trentplymouth, I'll help ya get started. One thing to keep in mind w/ medicine is to think small for the crappies. Most of them are in the 7"-9" range, and you can't be throwing down #6 demons w/ fatheads. One of my favorite approaches on the openwater craps is to go w/ a tiny (about 3/4 inch) swedish pimple in hammered silver w/ the tail of a minnow on it. I fish it w/ 3 lb micro ice on a med/light rod w/ a spring bobber. Also the same setup w/ a #14 marmooshka tipped w/ a couple waxies can be great. Don't be stingy and put just one on, put on two and just hook 'em through the head.

The guys on here are right, though, in that it is very hard to consistently catch crappies on this lake w/o sonar. Alot of times they're real picky, especially if they've been fished much. If you ever get the opportunity to borrow an underwater camera, use it on this lake because while the fish aren't the biggest it is a GREAT lake to master ice fishing. If you can consistently fool nice craps in this lake you'll outfish just about anyone on any other lake. It's amazing to watch a fish zoom up to your bait and just sit there and look at it, and if it's jigged wrong or moved at just the wrong time they won't take it. But if it's done just right you'll catch 20 fish to everyone else's 1, trust me i've done it many, many times. Not bragging, it's just that if you spend enough time and effort to learn these fish you'll have a blast w/ it.

As far as spots go, one of my favorites is on the long main lake point in about 30 fow. It's a fairly well known spot, but it's a decent walk to get there from either one of the accesses, so it doesn't get hammered too bad if people can't drive a wheeler out. If you don't have sonar don't bother trying, they can be anywhere from 10 ft down to 5 feet off bottom. During late ice the south side of the main lake can get real hot for sunnies in 7-12 fow, but it gets crowded perty fast once word gets out. There's several other spots on this lake that can produce, and once you get confident in the lake and figure out what they're patterns are don't be afraid to spread yer wings a little. Hope that helps!

Oh, and by the way, if you ever wanna hook up, shoot me an email at jeff "underscore" lynch 55 a t yaaahhoo dot co m. I'd be a little more willing to show you some better spots than post them on here

anyone willing to pull a perm out with a 4-wheeler sun. or mon. for a small fee of course 6x12 old pop upcamper converted im sure it is not 12 inches of ice yet thanks james

I guess what I mean is what side of the lake. There are some slushy spots out there and I don't want to get stuck. I would have to make a dry run first to make sure it is slush free. As far as a price I would do it for $25.

that sounds more than far to me i guess the west side by the park its not far to walk i would like to get on some craps you can call me on my cell 507-363-6112 james

Whats the ice like? Anyone driving out yet? I was out there last week and there was around 8-9 in on the main part of the lake. I went out to Turtle yesterday and there was 12-14 with people driving out.

not that this helps that much but out from the county park I was pulling in bass on tipups with shiners last year just off the weed line. also saw some nice pike swim by. Harty plows a road out there later on and it is pretty good fishing for pike all year round.

I'll be out tomorrow morning. Anyone care to share what's biting on what and where? I'd love to get into a couple of eye's, but crappies and sunnies would be good too. I will probably be out between 9 and 11am. It's probably not prime time but I have to get out when I can.

I have euro's and have heard the crap's are biting on minnow heads (fatheads?) other places. Same here?

I appreciate y'alls help. Thank you.

Made it out today, was my first outing of the ice season. Caught about 20 or so little perch. Lot's of people out, also lot's of cars and trucks on the ice. I measured about 12 inches of ice. Stayed away from the crowds, but even with bigger baits couldn't keep the little perch away. While walking to my spot I picked up bottles, cans, and fast food wrappers...so come on people...clean up after yourselves! Anyway, it was good to finally be out on the ice.