Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpotasnak

Lake Marion in Lakeville

13 posts in this topic

Any word on the ice for Marion? I've seen lakeville has been colder then the rest of the metro most of the week. Any Updates???

I have heard 2 1/2 to 3" but with the snow thats on the 6-10" it's going to make a mess of any ice thats out there. Any lake for that matter so every body be careful. I know we all want to get out this weekend so just be SAFE.

Watch out for the Drunk Guy in the Bomber hat and Carhartt Jacket.. tongue.gif

Quote:

Watch out for the Drunk Guy in the Bomber hat and Carhartt Jacket..
tongue.gif

is this you or someone else shocked.gif

Not me...Just my buddy.. More than likely won't be drunk, but there's a good chance he'll be hungover.

Quote:

Not me...Just my buddy.. More than likely won't be drunk, but there's a good chance he'll be hungover.

just wondering - I ran into a guy at Alimagnet lake fitting that description.

I live not even a half mile from Marion. In fact, I can see if from my house. I'd like to get out there and try it some time, as I just moved to Lakeville recently. I will check the lake tomorrow and report. Has anyone been out there in the last couple of days to check the ice? If so, please post. Have never fished this lake so it is hard to know where the safest place is for early ice. Anyone got any tips for safest early ice on this lake?

Quote:

I live not even a half mile from Marion. In fact, I can see if from my house. I'd like to get out there and try it some time, as I just moved to Lakeville recently. I will check the lake tomorrow and report. Has anyone been out there in the last couple of days to check the ice? If so, please post. Have never fished this lake so it is hard to know where the safest place is for early ice. Anyone got any tips for safest early ice on this lake?

Went out sat am straight out from the boat launch ( that seems to be the safest first ice ) a good 4-5 inches 150 yds out. But just past that there was an open area about 6-7 ft wide weaving around and out to the middle.

Set some tip-ups but nothing. The wind drove us off about 1:00 tongue.gif

wildfan, be careful out on marion- i believe there is a spring or two. not sure exactly where, just be careful!

Has anyone been out on Marion this week? I just checked by my house tonight and didn't see anyone out there. Anyone have an ice update? Also, where do people park when ice fishing? I tried to find the boat landing but wasn't able to find it. Not sure if i was following the right signs or not. Anyone know what street is is off of? Can anyone else chime in about whether or not out from the boat landing is the best place to go on first ice?

Boat access is off of the freeway service rd. Take the same rd leading to Antlers park - go straight ahead to the boat ramp.

Yes for first ice straight from ramp is ussally the safest or on the bay by the channel ( right by the freeway).

Haven't seen anyone out there lately - the ice looks a bit questionable after the snow last weekend. I was out last sat. about 200" from the boat ramp and found a good 5" of ice. But things are looking wierd out there right now. crazy.gifconfused.gif

Be very careful if you head out.

Also, be careful going off the boat ramp. The deeper basin to the right (south) of the ramp tends to freeze up more slowly. Use even more caution if you head in that direction.

For those wondering, I stopped by the ramp today & there were at least seven groups of people/portables out on the ice, including one way back in the shallow bay & another out of the south basin. No idea of ice thickness (nobody was close enough for me to stroll out & ask) but there are folks out! Marion might be on my destination list for next weekend.