• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Conditions!

Well it is that time of the year again. We are starting to get some ice thickness and winter fishing has began. I even have seen some portable shelters out on the smaller bays. So it is time to keep everyone posted on the latest ice conditions. A couple of our ice fishing guides will be out on a regular basis checking the latest so we should have some up to the minute conditions for you again this season. Keep checking back here on Fishing MN, on our web site www.sportlandbait.com, or give us a call at the bait shop 218-963-2401. We are always willing to offer our insight.

Please use caution when travelling our lakes during the winter season. Ice is still ice and can change daily and can be very unpredictable. Always check ahead before you venture out. Good luck everyone on a great season and be sure to stop in for the hottest new ice fishing gear, the best live bait in the area, and an ice report.

Here is the latest:

Small Lakes/Bays- Up to 3-4 inches it varies. Should have decent fishable ice by the weekend.

Bigger waters like Gull, Pelican, Etc.- Ice is growing around the shorelines and is creeping out towards the middle in some areas.

Jason Erlandson

Pelican just iced over last nite and today on the main lake. The bay had a couple of diehards on it. Might be 3" in bay. Temps look good for ice making.

This afternoon there was a portable out on the first break of Round lake. These temps are really making some great looking ice. Fishing reports should be starting this weekend for sure.

Jason Erlandson

was on the bay at breezy point today. there was exactly 6inches, and about three on the north side of the main lake. there should be plenty for this weekend out here. smile.gif

Gull is still open but ice is forming fast going out from shore... The weather forecast is calling for the possibly of a big snow on Saturday....Not good for ice conditions....Let's hope it stays south or does not fully develop... I like everyone on this board are anxious to get out on the ice for the early bite...

Jason, thanks for the updates!

hopefully if the snow does come that the bigger lakes stay open till after the snow rather than an inch or 2 then 8-10 inches of snow!!

Main Gull is still open this am... Lot's of steam and some skim ice. South of Squaw point much of the lake froze over last night.

North long Mayfield bay varies 4-3-2 and found 2 spots that were less then 2. But Walking in this snow is like quick sand. Damm this snow. 2 weeks early.

Quote:

Snowmobile through the ice on Bay Lake earlier today. . .
frown.gif

Wow, what does it take for some people to have some common sense these days? confused.gif

I was on Round yesterday and found approx. 6 inches of ice just out from the 371 dirt launch, on the first break. We walked out there at 12:30 or so on glare ice with a few snow patches. When we called it quits at 5:15, the lake had pretty sizable snow drifts. Made pulling the sled a chore to say the least. A few walleyes were cooperating around peak time.

Was it someone on a sled or 4-wheeler or did someone that was just walking out go through on South Long? What part of the the lake? I am looking to get out this weekend and need some reliable info. Thanks for any help.

It was a snowmobile. There is a story on the Brainerd Dispatch website about it.

Just remember to be smart out there. The ice was starting out like we haven't seen for a while, but the snow is gonna put a little slow down on it. Then temps are still cold, but the snow may keep the ice from growing as fast as we want it too. It won't be long and hopefully we will be ready to hit it safely. I am looking forward to pulling something through the hole soon.

Did any of the snow blow off the lake? How are the big lakes doing, Pelican and Gull? Were the big lakes open when the snow came or were they frozen up?

Never fails.....always a few brainiacs going through 2 inches of ice on a sled or fourwheeler!!! Sad

Not much going on with either lake. We had 10" snow sat. and today we have almost 5" and it hasnt stopped. Saw the one guy on pelican that prides himself on being the first one out on the north side of pelican. It had just froze over two nites before it snowed so there couldnt have been more then a couple in. of ice. Now there is at least 15" snow on top of ice. Going to check the thickness in bay , heard 6" there. Gull froze later than pelican , so who knows whats going on there.

Quote:

Did any of the snow blow off the lake? How are the big lakes doing, Pelican and Gull? Were the big lakes open when the snow came or were they frozen up?

No. Nothing blew off, just drifted really good. Every lake around here has nice big old drifts. Pain in the keester to pull gear around.

The north side of pelican had 4'' on it before it snowed. Many smaller lakes are safe but hard to tell with all the snow. There has been very few people out since the snow, but the lake I am on has almost 8". So it is worth checking around to find some good ice

does anyone think Round is ok for a snowmobile or atv out to the fist break off the 371 landing?

If it means anything, someone has plowed an ATV path to the first break on Round - several people were out there last night.

I don't think I would go with what anyone thinks about the ice. I would check for myself. This snow isn't helping things. Just my two cents.

That was what I was worried about. Well, I may give Pelican until the holiday break before I try my luck.

Well I just came back from the house and I should not have drilled the tip up hooles . My house is now flooded. I had to put 4x4 onder the house. But the fishing was good. About 3" slush on the ice tonight. Thats ok will be out in the morning

Hey Gator,

I will be there somewhere around noon-230ish...looking for some big pike..catch and release only...hope we can get out