• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkey Hunt Deadlines Coming Up!

DonBo

Minnesota permits are due Dec. 7th.....38,000 permits, up 4,000 from last year.

Wisconsin permits are due Dec. 10th.....211,000 permits, WOW!

Good point DonBo. Got mined turned in yesterday. I'm usually a procrastinator in all aspects of life but NOT IN FISHING AND HUNTING grin.gifgrin.gif

Turned mine in last week. Get them in lest you forget and miss a year. At least collect preference points and guarantee your chance to use a bow if you don't get drawn.

Wow is there that many more turkeys in WI? Seems like a ton more permits compaired to what we have here,birds must be everywhere.

Quote:

Wow is there that many more turkeys in WI? Seems like a ton more permits compaired to what we have here,birds must be everywhere.

Darn! The secret's out, what was I thinking? blush.gif

All I know, is that if I am drawn I am nearly guaranteed a turkey. Our land (200 - 300 acres) probably have a hundred turkeys in them....

Hard to count, but have seen 40 at one time. Most even.

Taking my nieces out this year if they get drawn. I sure hope they do....

Luckey b$#@&*d! Wish I had my own private game farm. grin.gif

Good job takin' the girls, how old are they?

I believe the WI spring harvest of around 50,000 birds is close the total turkey pop in MN. Time flies, can't believe it turkey appl time already...

Girls are 18 and 20. Not young anymore, I guess. My other niece (13) is also applying (I think), but would go with her dad.

We have seen turkeys in our woods for over 15 years now. We rarely saw them, but they were there.

Now we see them all the time. We just started hunting them (applying for licenses). My dad scares them away from his bird feeder all the time in the yard in the winter. He "doesn't want them to get tame". He also leaves a few acres of corn for them in the winter far away from the house and we have planted 100s of berry trees for the turkeys.

The DNR also let many hens go on our land several years ago.

I bet the population doubled just this last year. It sure seems like it! I saw so many this last fall hunting, I couldn't believe it. My father has well over 1500 feet of lakeshore that is undeveloped...and they love to hang there.

Just think, he bought this land for under $10,000 40 years ago....

We have worked hard to make the land more attractice to wildlife...and the last few years...it has really paid off.

I love taking the "kids" hunting!

Not a lot of activity on this forum...I know that changes in a couple months, but geez, the deadline for MN is Friday...Better hurry up people!

Got both of mine done. Might be the earliest I ever did them.

I will now count the long days of winter until turkey season.

Got my application in, but it's been an every other year deal for me in 223, and it's my off year. That's why I'm getting the girlfriend into it. She didn't get a tag her first time so she's due now. If only she was excited as myself about it, she could care less.

Ray:

MN and WI this year?

Tippman:

Apply for Seasons F, G, or H. According to the 2006 DNR Wild Turkey Harvest Report, Permit area 223 is undersubscribed for these periods. Also, in 2006, if applying for time period "E", your odds were a strong 78%. Since then, for permit area 223, they've also upped the permits 10 extra per time period.

Hunting turkeys is too much fun to do it only every other year.

Joel

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There's all sorts of strategy when applying. I gotta hunt every year, so going later is ok. If my group doesn't get drawn we'll need to hunt a later season yet with whatever surplus tags are left as I don't do the second choice option to build up preference points if not drawn. I'm fine hunting the last week if that's all that's left after the initial drawing.

Joel,

MN and WI for this year. I had to put a halt on my other out of state venture because I changed jobs. Going from 23 days of vacation with 30 in the bank to 18 days can do that to a guy.

I wonder what the wife and kids would say to moving the Black Hills trip from June to the end of April. grin.gif

Thanks for the info Joel. I did purposefully apply for season D and picked F I believe for my second choice knowing there will be a better chance. The second choice option wasn't available before so hopefully that will work out. Also if I remember right you can hunt the later seasons anyways with a bow correct?

Tipp:

Sounds like you'll be getting a tag for sure then with a second chance for season "F". Good work! And, like you said, the OTC bow tag is available for the last two seasons for any zone with 50 or more available permits per time-period. The bow-turkey thing is a real challenge too, lots of fun!

Joel

Need to try that some year too. We put in for C with second choice F....now I just need to keep Joel away from my birds...

I'll leave yours alone! Promise!

I just found a "new" roost location when deer hunting this weekend. They roost there on occasion throughout the spring, but I didn't know which tree, just a very general area. My brother watched 5 toms fly up into this lone tree, and I accidentally spooked them the following morning. It's an interesting burr oak about 3/4 way up a ridge that reaches out and over the slope. Was fun to see all of them in the same tree, but it's a monster.

Joel