Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
noska

ICE FISHING Resort Options

7 posts in this topic

The past couple years we have went to Wheelers Point and Schusters with minimul success. We are thinking of going to Arneson's, Ballard's, or Sportsman's this year. Anyone have any thoughts on which resort will do the best putting us on the fish?

Thanks in advance

For 6-7 years now I have been going out of River Bend on early ice. Great people, great service, and they have done pretty well as far as getting me on the fish. A lot of 50 to 75+ catch per person days (Very early ice). I think most all of the resorts on the point are fishing roughly the same area though, and most of them are excellent, world class fishing resorts. I always fish that area early untill it slows down, and then move down the shorline untill I get to the reefs. (usually a day or two behind the fish). If you are not catching fish with the resort your at it is most likely related to weather, feeding patterns, or just the migratory habits of walleye. Pine is still the best on early ice in my opinion. (depth has made a huge difference the last few years)

I agree with sprinter, I have stayed at Adrians for about 24 years at first ice. Going back next Friday. fishing is most of the time GREAT!!! If we do have a bad day it was a bad front that would come in.I dont think you could pick a bad place to fish off Pine that time of year. Good Luck!! cool.gif

Ballard's and Sportsman's are both excellent spots. The guys at Ballard's will get you on fish.

Arnesen's is second to none. They are a little more secluded than the resorts and they offer more structure fishing. If you are looking for the nightly bar scene, the river will be the best. If you want a more relaxing trip with a few beers and great food and great guides, Arnesens will fit the bill. I have a place up there and have been going up there since 1994. Feel free to e-mail me any questions you may have.

I should clarify we are going the weekend of Jan 11, 12, 13th

I've fished with Borderview first weekend in January for a few years 5-6 years ago over Pine with mixed success but that might have been operator error since I and most of the rest of the party were novices to hardwater. Loved Arneson's both times I've been there and the first year was darn near fish jumping out of the holes.

Last year tried Riverbend in February and have already booked again with them for a trip up to the islands. Real good fishing, great people and a real nice resort setup.

Each resort had a number of good things going for it. You can't go wrong over Pine in December and possibly early January so any resort out of the river can put you on the fish. I'd go back to Arneson's in a heartbeat if I could as well, I like the structure being so close to the resort. Borderview could accomodate a couple of large groups as they have two different cabins that sleep big nunmbers if that was what I needed. I'm now there with my son and the bars and live music action parts of the evenings aren't as important to me but for others they are a requirement.

Like everybody else it is all about timing because they all can put you on fish.