• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is going to hit the ice this weekend?!?

Hey All,

I am currently attending NDSU and am not to familiar with the area lakes although i have done lots of research and have found a few lakes that seem to be decent. I am not sure if I should venture out this weekend although i do have a buddy coming, a rope, picks, and a life vest. If i did go out it would be a small isolated lake. Who else is going out this weekend or are you all going to hold off?

Nic

Oh ya, me and a buddy are going out. If there is 5" of ice were gona take my house out. Its time fellas, good luck and safe fishin to all.

Count me in. I'll be on the lake with a few friends. Not sure what to go after. I do have a HOT walleye lake that's been good to us, really good to us the last couple of seasons. Tough as heck to get to though.

welcome to FM/HSO Bison_Brotherhood!

It is always a wise idea to go venturing out on new ice in unfamilar territory prepared. A buddy, PFD, rope, float coat, etc., are all important tools to have along in the event one of you should break through the ice. Just be sure you know exactly what to do in the case of an emergency, before the emergency happens. That way you won't need to think too much if you go through. Even to seasoned veterans of the ice, breaking through and getting wet is a shock to your body, and can cause you to not think clearly. Just remember to relax, not panic, and slowly make your way back to solid ice and work your way up. Crawl a distance aways from the hole before standing up. I know it is easier said than done, when you are the one that is wet, but having a level head probably will save your life.

It is also a good idea to let someone else know, besides you fishing partner, what lake you will be on, and estimated times of arrival and departure. A cell phone is a great tool to keep the communication lines open.

I imagine there will be plenty of people out on the ice this weekend. Please be safe out there guys (and gals)!

I'm not sure if I'm heading out this weekend, I have a bug that isn't making me feel very well right now. I'm still hoping the predicted storm for southern MN rides north a little, so I can ride my sled this weekend.

I used to just tell my brother about the spot I'd like to hit just before his day off. I'd tell him what I'd use, how deep I'd fish and try to narrow the spot down. If he came back, I knew it was safe for me. grin.gif