Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delta hunter

No Shelter Tags??

23 posts in this topic

I heard thru the grapevine that portables are not required to have shelter tags anymore. I just wondering if anyones is hear this or not?

Yes that is correct. And if you take a "permanent" on the ice and dont leave it unattended for say a weekend, it also does not need one as i understand it. Any house left unattended needs a license.

Straight out of the DNR rulebook=Question: A group of (resident or nonresident) anglers pulls a fish house on the ice for a weekend of ice fishing. The fish house is designed with a wheel system that allows for easy access and removal from the lake. The anglers stay in the house and never leave it unoccupied during the course of the weekend. Does the fish house require a license?

Answer: No. A fish house license is not required as long as the fish house is attended. This includes daylight, as well as nighttime use.

That might help. Real nice change!

I'm happy to hear of the change, I only fish out of a portable, unless I use my buddies perm house. I never understood why a portable would ever have to be licenesed!

Make sure that you still have your information on your shack though. (DL #, DNR #, etc.)

I here ya there!

I was just looking through the DNR fishing regs on line and still see the shelter tag as a requirment on page 60. But there is a statement that these regs apply "unless otherwise noted elsewhere in this booklet". Other than the question section is this change listed anywhere else? I got a warning ticket last year because I didn't have my shelter tag displayed properly and want to avoid that this year.

There is a news release on their site about the rule change that the government changed this year, so thats why it is not printed in the 2007 rule book.

I see it now, thanks. Great news!

This sounds great, I won't be required to purchase a non-resident license for my ice shelter. Just want to clarify; jigger-matt seez the owner of the ice house must have the owners name and DNR# displayed.

Charlie

Yes, you'll need some digits displayed. It is explained in the link attached to the bottom of page 1 of this post.

So im not totally clear on this...if i am spending the night in my portable, do i need a shelter license?

No you do not need a shelter license for that.

only if ur planing to keep it out on the ice over nite, other wise if there and planing to take it home u dont need a tag. in ur case you will be fine.

Spend the night every night; no license. grin.gif

thanks for the help guys!

It's about time something costs LESS. I remember when I first got started ice fishing I took a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut it in 1/2 & hinged it for a wind break. DNR came out checked my fishing license & told me I needed one for my shelter confused.gifshocked.gifconfused.gif I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. Well, things changed for the better. L2f

self built house are classifeid as perminate stationary house yes needs to be licenced. the no tag deal is very touchy with many dnr personal. i asked about home made shelters they told me yes needs a tag, not store bought portables. that wasnt clairifed in the books at all. check with ur local dnr C/O of ur counties u live in they vary.

So if I go and buy a portable, I need to have a DNR# on it? I am getting confused about "you don't have to have a license on a portable, but you do need to have a DNR #"? What do I need to register my portable, or do I need to do anything to register it?

Your DNR# can be found on your fishing license.

If you go buy a portable, you just go fishing. grin.gif Don't forget your license. smirk.gif

all u need to do is make a sign with ur name, dnr # , and ur drivers licence on it thats what i did, i never put my home addy on it, once i did i came home to a empty house i was robbed. the dnr acepted the way i did my sign.