• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'05 Silverado Torque Converter

lawdog

Question

I have a four door '05 Silverado with the 5.3 in it and about 49,000 miles on it. About three weeks ago I had the tranny flush that was due at 40,000 finally done. Very shortly thereafter the tranny stared vibrating and grinding when you'd cruise around about 1500 rpm. I immediately expected something happened when they serviced the tranny and thought at that rpm range I wonder if it isn't torque converter. It also rattled terribly even when just starting it up.

I took it in today and they say there is a torque converter problem, but they talked to GM and will treat it as if there is an extended warranty and fix me up for $100 "deductible" that would be in place there. Now, I don't have a real problem paying $100.00 to fix it as I expect a torque converter replaced is far more than that if I'm paying full price, but in my mind I'm still thinking this must have been something that happened with the tranny service and if so why am I paying anything?

Any of you experts have any thoughts??? I should add they've always taken decent care of me and I don't mean to be saying its a bad place, this just has me wondering...

5 answers to this question

PB, what's that stuff hanging from your trailer ?

Lawdog, sorry for hijacking your thread... wink.gif

Looks like ducks or geese?

I might have an interesting opinion. Quite often we repair vehicles with any mileage you would like. In the process of making the requested repairs other issues come up. These issues where there before the repair was made but the conditions where not right to make them noticeable until another repair was made. Is the newly discovered repair the shops liability? If there was some sort of negligence on the shops part than yes. If the new problem shows up as a result of the repair process, than no.

One example I can think of is a customer came in and requested a t-stat and coolant flush on a vehicle with over 100k. The repairs where made and the engine was cleaned off with a hose to remove the spilled coolant. After this was done the vehicle had multiple misfires. The problem was the coil boots where getting old and leaked with the presence of moisture. The problem was there before the repairs where made but the act of doing the repair made the problem show up. The customer understandably commented that it ran fine before the repair and it was our responsibility to fix it. The customer had owned/driven that vehicle for over 100k, It was the first time we had seen the vehicle and now the customer feels we are responsible for everything that is wrong? After explaining to the customer that the boots are like wires and do where out/leak over time and the vehicle doeas have over 100k, We would be more than happy to pull the coils, dry off the boots, and reinstall the coils at no charge. If he wanted the boots replace there would be a charge for the boots. He thought we where nuts! The usual highway robbery, I'm getting ripped off, I'll never bring my vehicle here again, I'm calling the better business bureau, and I'm telling everyone I know now you do business followed. My thought is we just saved you a $200 buck for a tow and Diag not to mention the couple of hours labor the pull all the coils.

Its pretty hard to mess up a tranny flush. Is it the shops fault that a problem came up after they did the requested service, IMO no. Unless there was negligence on there part, but like I said its pretty hard to mess up a flush!

A $100 to replace the torque converter sounds pretty good.

Quote:

Looks like ducks or geese?

I might have an interesting opinion. Quite often we repair vehicles with any mileage you would like. In the process of making the requested repairs other issues come up. These issues where there before the repair was made but the conditions where not right to make them noticeable until another repair was made. Is the newly discovered repair the shops liability? If there was some sort of negligence on the shops part than yes. If the new problem shows up as a result of the repair process, than no.

One example I can think of is a customer came in and requested a t-stat and coolant flush on a vehicle with over 100k. The repairs where made and the engine was cleaned off with a hose to remove the spilled coolant. After this was done the vehicle had multiple misfires. The problem was the coil boots where getting old and leaked with the presence of moisture. The problem was there before the repairs where made but the act of doing the repair made the problem show up. The customer understandably commented that it ran fine before the repair and it was our responsibility to fix it. The customer had owned/driven that vehicle for over 100k, It was the first time we had seen the vehicle and now the customer feels we are responsible for everything that is wrong? After explaining to the customer that the boots are like wires and do where out/leak over time and the vehicle doeas have over 100k, We would be more than happy to pull the coils, dry off the boots, and reinstall the coils at no charge. If he wanted the boots replace there would be a charge for the boots. He thought we where nuts! The usual highway robbery, I'm getting ripped off, I'll never bring my vehicle here again, I'm calling the better business bureau, and I'm telling everyone I know now you do business followed. My thought is we just saved you a $200 buck for a tow and Diag not to mention the couple of hours labor the pull all the coils.

Its pretty hard to mess up a tranny flush. Is it the shops fault that a problem came up after they did the requested service, IMO no. Unless there was negligence on there part, but like I said its pretty hard to mess up a flush!

A $100 to replace the torque converter sounds pretty good.

Thanks, and I didn't really figure you could screw up a flush either unless you didn't put enough fluid back in, or put in the wrong kind, I don't know what else you could do to mess it up?

So have there been problems with the torque converters on the '05 Chevy's? Seems awful low mileage (with very little pulling included in that I might add) for that to be going out. The truck only has 45,000 miles on it.