• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins and Rays..

The Yeti

I like the trade. You have to give up something to get something. I was never really high on Bartlett. Looks like the Twins are getting young and affordable contracts before the new ball park. I remember the Phillies leading up to their new ballpark. They got young before the park opened and a year before it opened they signed Jim Thome. I can see the Twins doing something like this. We still have a hole at 3B. It would be nice if we land Miguel Cabrera. He is only 24 and is not eligible for free agency until 2009. Give up some young pitchers for him. Then deal Santana and get back some young pitchers. Who knows, I like what we are doing so far.

I don't see the Twins finishing in the cellar either.

Thank god we have Kansas City in our division.

I am not so sure that the Twins don't have the opening of the new stadium to dovetail with a youth movement here. New Stadium and a good solid team, increase revenue bet Poland gets a nice sale.

I don't love the trade, but at least we were willing to do something for a change. Like has been said we have always had loads of top prospects, but instead of rolling the dice and trading them to fill holes, we always hung on to them. I think Garza is gonna be a #1 or #2 for a lot of years, but the Twins did fill a need with an everyday outfielder, above average defensively with scary upside at the plate. I didn't care for Bartlett, but I am suprised they gave up a highly touted relief pitching prospect. Smith said Young isn't gonna play center, so if they put him in Left and keep Cuddy in right we still have a big hole in center and at 3rd. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. If they deal Nathan now, who are his biggest suitors??? Just wondering what you all think.

I think you have to keep Nathan. He's still one of the best in the business. The only flaws in his numbers from last season came in games in which he wasn't pitching in the role they got him for. Neshek was fun to watch and really pitched very well but tired and fell apart in late August or early September. If you are going to contend, that is when you need the closer to dominate. I really like Neshek but any talk of him being the closer is just wind coming out of your butt.

Quote:

I think you have to keep Nathan. He's still one of the best in the business. The only flaws in his numbers from last season came in games in which he wasn't pitching in the role they got him for. Neshek was fun to watch and really pitched very well but tired and fell apart in late August or early September. If you are going to contend, that is when you need the closer to dominate. I really like Neshek but any talk of him being the closer is just wind coming out of your butt.

Neshek would make a better closer than 80% of the guys closing in MLB now.

The bottom line is the Twins won't pay Nathan what he demands and what he will get on the free agent market. Why keep him then??? Use up this final year of his contract to close for an up and coming team that just rebuilt itself and looks to have a great product when the new stadium opens??? Nathan is gonna get dealt, but it may not be until the deadline or when a big teams closers struggles or gets hurt. You have to deal him because they are not gonna sign him. I think he is as good as there is in the business, but we might as well get something for him.

"Neshek would make a better closer than 80% of the guys closing in MLB now."

But not on the team he plays for. I hope they keep Nathan. If only to protect the staffs egos. If they work hard and put the team in a postion to win, it would bite if the closer didn't finish the deal. Who knows, show a little potential and he may want to stay. Is Nathan moving something that's been published or is this just speculation of posters of this sight?

Quote:

"Neshek would make a better closer than 80% of the guys closing in MLB now."

But not on the team he plays for. I hope they keep Nathan. If only to protect the staffs egos. If they work hard and put the team in a postion to win, it would bite if the closer didn't finish the deal. Who knows, show a little potential and he may want to stay. Is Nathan moving something that's been published or is this just speculation of posters of this sight?

I'm guessing they'll hold on to Nathan at least through this year. I either read or heard just this past week, that those in the organization don't believe Neshek is ready to step into the closer role yet. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

Quote:

I'm guessing they'll hold on to Nathan at least through this year. I either read or heard just this past week, that those in the organization don't believe Neshek is ready to step into the closer role yet. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

And David Ortiz isnt ready to fill the DH role And Justin Morneau has questionable fielding skills and we'll miss Eddie Guardado.

Eddie G. is available:

Cincinnati Reds

Declined to offer arbitration to LHP Eddie Guardado and LHP Eric Milton.

Neshek was exposed because teams fiquired out that delivery of his later in the season. Keep Nathan, trade him at the deadline. He will be just as valueable to a contender as he is now.

Quote:

Neshek was exposed because teams fiquired out that delivery of his later in the season. Keep Nathan, trade him at the deadline. He will be just as valueable to a contender as he is now.

Quote:

those in the organization don't believe Neshek is ready to step into the closer role yet.

I think its ridiculous to think Neshek can step in and be anything remotely close to Nathan as a closer.

Neshek may be alright as a closer, one of the reasons he wore down at the end of the year, is that in his position of set up man he came in more often and pitched longer (multiple innings) in games were as a closer would generally pitch only one or less innings. I think if you can get good talent for Nathan, trade him. I think Neshek would be alright. Not willing to wager the house but...never know.