• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any carvers out there?

TylerS

Great new decoy. Really like the tail action. I haven't had a chance to get to the library but will do this week for sure. I need one of those.

You mentioned you use 2 x 4's out of pine I'm assuming. Ever carve out of basswood. I have a giant basswood tree that I've been meaning to cut down to open up the canopy in my woods. Is it easier to carve in wet wood?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamalex72

• bassNspear

• merkman

• glenn57

I have never used basswood, but it should work. Don't know if the wet wood is easier carve or not, but you would have to let it dry before painting.

Ya, we were there for a little while. I bought one decoy, a Rudy Zwieg frog. Lots of people, pretty crowded the whole time we were there.

thats what i figured. I think they need to move it to a place that can hold alot more people, but maybe they cant im not sure

we have our meetings there, why do we want to go some where else for the show and then have no place for our meetings? You take care of who takes care of you! For us it's just that simple. Sham, nice meeting you there. A good choise on the Rudy Z. decoy. when the last of his are gone, that's it! I bought 2 more decoys myself of his. yes there are times we would like a bigger place, but yesterday we still had a couple open tables for more carvers.

Only crappies and sunnies today, the grean machine did not visit us today.

Mike89

When I said it was crowded, I was meaning in a good way. Did you see the ice tongs that Doty had? I wouldn't mind a set of those.

Funny story, when I was buying from Rudy, he was telling me if it don't work bring it back and he'll give me a new one. I didn't have the heart to tell him it will never see the water.

I understand what your talking about mike. I didnt mean to get the pot stired up. Your right, when you talk about how you have to take care of the people that take care of you. Wish i could have made it up there for the show.

Bassnspear, under stood, thanks for talking to me. Sham, that's funny what Rudy said, I could see him saying it!!

He is fun to talk to too always!!

good spring fishing to all!!

mike89

we will all get out next winter and hang out more. Im glad that we have our own forum so we can get things rolling more now that we have this. Thanks guys for all the fun that we have had here.

If you try to make the salmon with the jointed tail, you will need more lead than what it shows in the diagram. And I believe the line tie is too far back, I don't have the book anymore, but I think I put the tie farther ahead.

There is a good article on the Michigan Darkhouse website that describes how to weight decoys. That is how I have doing mine and it works good.

Shamalex72, what do you use for the line tie, and do your decoys come out about the same size in the book or a little smaller? In the book the pike one looks like it might be a little too big for my taste.

Thanks!!

I use wire, not sure what gauge it is though. I have only made one going off of the diagrams in the book, but yes, it is a little smaller.

• 3 months later...

Here's some more decoys that I made over the past few months. Just finished the northern about a week ago. Gonna be putting the decoys on hold for a while, time to start chasing muskies.

P1000329-1.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000411.jpg

P1000412.jpg

P1000429.jpg

P1010056-1-1.jpg

Dude, your rocken it again!! Awesome work.

Does anyone know who the guy is that carves north of Cokato? I see his sign everytime i drive up to my cabin.

gosh dang it, them are some dandy looking dekes. almost to perty to put in the water.

hey bns, not to go off track here but does triton boats have anything to do with triton snowmobile trailers? i need some parts for it.

• 4 months later...

That is a beauty spearhead. You really have the knack for carving and painting! I bet it will work well for bringing them in.