• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

INSIDE/OUTSIDE DOG???

DCF

I have a 6 month lab that we house trained this summer and fall. At about 4 months I started putting him in the outside kennel for the day when we are at work. After work and thru the night he is in the house. Now that it is getting colder is OK to keep putting him outside during the day and in the house at night. He can go into an insulated room in the garage that has his hunting kennel with an insulated jacket and then go outside in the kennel if he wants. Just wondering if the warm/cold back and forth thing is bad for him????

Old wives tale. He's fine! No different than you or I doing the same. The key is to be consistant so he acclimates to what he'll be doing on a daily basis. Being able to go freely in and out of the cold to a warm area is good. He can choose if he wants to be out or in depending on how comfortable he is at that moment.

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs,

Due to some issues at home (my wife doesn't care for my lab at all) I've been forced to move my 18 month old lab outside for portions of the day depending on our schedule. I picked up a good insulated cedar kennel with one of the hard heating pads in it (of course the dog immediately chewed the hanging plastic door strips out completely) and I feel like she should be OK during the day but need a little assurance from the expert.

This dog stays inside in her crate when we aren't at home and all evenings so she definitely does the hot-cold switching most days. Kennel area is covered as well to prevent direct rain and snow from hitting her dog house.

I've also added some straw bales in a U shape around the dog house area on the outside of the fence to provide some additional wind break.

I guess my main question is what sort of parameters should I be using on how long she can be out and maybe at what temperature levels? Also, do I need to replace the door because I honestly think she will immediately chew it back off? (she likes to lay with her head out the door and I think that might have been part of why she chewed it out of the way)

Thanks for the help! (I tagged into this question since with the exception of the ability to move into the garage area it is a pretty similar situation.) Irv

My two Shorthairs are inside dogs.

That was our decision when we decided to get the breed.

I'm sure they would be just fine outside, but both my wife and I enjoy having them around and the kids like it too.

Sure, there is a bit of hair around but my wife doesn't complain.

The dogs suck up to her!!!!!

Both dogs are crate trained and that's where they sleep.

I have a place near the basement service door for them.

On a cold Winters night they like to curl up in front of the fireplace with the rest of us.

I guess I'm lucky to have an understanding wife.

My dogs have me trained.

As long as the opening to the house is not facing into a stiff wind, the dog will be fine. Especially if you have a heat pad going in there.

There are many swing doors on the market that you can attach to the house that are "chew proof". But if it's just for the day and they are sleeping inside at night, your dog will be fine w/o the door.

As far as temps? I think most any any daytime temp, the dog will be fine... plus they get the added benifit of some solar heat. I used to let mine "in" during the -10 to -15 below temps when they were younger. They are in their teens now and it happens more in the 0 to -5 below frame. They are outside everyday though.

Good Luck!

Ken

The key is to be consistant.

If you take a dog in on a really cold day for a short time...then put him back outside...it could be bad and it is not a wives tale.

The dog could sweat with his winter coat and if you put him right back out...it is not a good thing. At least that is what the vet told my neighbor awhile ago after his dog got sick.

The vet told him it is best to leave him outside with the approprate shelter.

Quote - "The dog could sweat with his winter coat and if you put him right back out...it is not a good thing. At least that is what the vet told my neighbor awhile ago after his dog got sick."

That sounds like some bad information. Dogs do not sweat like a human does. From several sources on the web to confirm this fact:

"Dogs sweat through their pads and feet. Their skin doesn't contain sweat glands like a human's skin does. Their main method of controlling body heat, though, is by panting."

Well, I guess I didn't know that about how dogs sweat. I guess I assumed that as the vet said you shouldn't leave your "indoor" dog outdoors after cold-weather exercise. You should dry your dog off and bring it indoors and let it rest and get warm.

The vet told me (and our neighbor) that a dog with a nice winter coat that is brought in and out of the house is not a good thing, for they get too hot...then too cold. Their immune system can't handle this. It is actually better for them to stay outside and have an appropriate place to seek shelter. Of course, this depends on the breed and type of lifestyle your dog leads too.

But, it is probably like what people say about not letting dogs eat chicken bones for the sharp pieces can punture there stomoach. Odds are, it will not happen...but it can. We used to feed chicken bones to our dogs for years and years with no issues.

I am sure other vets will have other opinions...but we all base our thoughts on past experiences (it seems).

Mine is outside during the day and inside when I am home and at night. I wasnt sure about the cold either so when she is outside I put her neoprene vest on that she wears for duck hunting. Stick your hand under that vest after she has been out all day and it is nice and warm, and she doesnt seem to mind it. It keep sher core nice and warm.

My labs have always been outside dogs (wife hates the tails knocking down everything in sight) they have always been fine plenty of food and fresh water and straw and cedar chips in the dog house to keep them warm,sometimes I feel guilty and bring them in and they stand by the door and wine to be let back out.So I guess they are ok.

My dog has been an indoor outdoor dog and seems to handle it just fine. My house is always cold so i dont worry about him overheating. I will bring him inside and put him in his crate if the weather is below 0.