• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alright - The Brickhouse has some good sandwiches - I'm buyin' !!

I'm a Big Winnie fisherman all of my life & my Dad since 1946, so we know 'er well if you want some spots...

Let me know what works

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fisherman For a Lifetime

• ole matty

• muskie420

Quote:

I have a couple of secret spots too.

Unfortunately none of them produce any fish.

I have never caught a wally our of Forest and would give my left nut for a good spot.

Ok, maybe not my left nut. How 'bout a beer?

funny thing i ever had read on this topic.. mayb i can help u catch a eye.. i know 2 or 3 spot that shld hold them but also hold nomad slabs as well. but turniver know more abt flake than i am he shld help u as well.

Now Matty, don't be giving away all of the secrets or I'm gonna have to find more out of the way spots to fish. Good luck out there tomorrow guys, I'll be out till dark and again in the afternoon till dark on Sunday. Sounds like therre is a solid 6-8 in most areas and wheelers will be an option this weekend.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

u get it wrong, i wont give any of my secret spot. i m givin them a chance to catch a walleye on a location where people had done good.

Hey Matty, you have mail. I believe you. Maybe see you out on the ice tomorrow afternoon! Thanks again for the geese, they were awsome! I did the secret spot today and we did well for eyes. It was almost like being up north! Now tomorrow i will be fishing forest lake and taking my chances but it should be fun nonetheless. I am hoping to hit a few crappies and some bonus eyes to go along with them. The access you asked about is open and you shouldn't have a problem finding pike out there. Maybe see you later in the afternoon!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Walked out from the landing on First lake today with an auger and a tape measure. Saw a pretty consistent 8 inches of ice. Didn't walk accross though, just out to 16 feet of water, and then headed north to the permanent fish house.

Hey Loogie, did you get my e-mail? Was out on flake tonight and got one 21" eye and had four flags between three guys. My buddy caught a 16" out of his shack about 2 hundred yards away and they had one other flag tonight without hooking up. Fishermanforalifetime, did you get your e-mail? Maybe we can hit luch one day this week, Monday is out but the rest of the week is open.

Tunrevir~

Tunrevir~

Tunrevir,

Yes, and thanks for the email. I didn't get out today.

Was out on lake 2 Saturday trying for pike. 2 flags. Tip-ups were spinning like tops, lots of line out, but no fish. Oh well.

Hey Tunrevir...

No, I did not get your e-mail, huh, very odd.

Sure, lunch would be great - let's shoot for Tuesday!

Try again, the address is correct & I have no known filters.

Fishermanforalifetime, I have been having trouble with my computer and server being real slow so I may have backed out before the message was sent. Lunch today? Noon? Just post here if its on and I'll meet you at the brickhouse.

Tunrevir~

was out last fri. fishing was horrible with some slush under the snow but was 4-6 inch. quite a few perms of willow point with 4-wheelers/snowmobiles going around. not me though, out from our house there was still 1.5/2 inches of ice by the south hole on second lake. there was a 4-wheeler about 20 yards from it. it people go out watch out for that and the 1-2 lake channel never freezes right.

Five to 7" is the rule right now in most areas of the lake. There are still spots that aren't ready for 4-wheeler travel but people are going to get out. Be safe out there as there are trouble spots that exist but they are masked by the snow. The lake is safe for 4 wheelers and sled for the most part but stick to the more heavily traveled areas right now or travel slowly and work your way out with a spud. Be safe, know whre you are and whree you are traveling.

Tunrevir~

was out off willow point, over the deep hole Sunday night. About 6" of decent ice.

Not much to show for it, unless you like catching dinky crappies all night long, but it was sweeeet to get out lemme tell ya!

What is everyone's opinion about taking my wheeler and fish trap from Timm's on 3rd to 2nd for some crappie action tomorrow? Enough ice?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

FLaker

I'd say you have plenty of ice, between 6-9" in most spots that I have been. Look out for the slushy spots they can be a pain but seem to have decent ice underneath. I have had the 4-wheeler out the past two weekends.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

looking out the window right now and there is 2 trucks and a jeep by a perm in the middle of second

they are braver(sic) them I am! I'll keep taking the wheeler for awhile yet, I love to fish unless it is for my vehicle from thirty feet of water! I wonder what action rod and lb. test you'd need to pull a crewcab pickup out of the ice hole? smirk.gif

Tunrevir~

Quote:

I wonder what action rod and lb. test you'd need to pull a crewcab pickup out of the ice hole?

Tunrevir, your new rod might be a little on the light side! You up for fishin' Tues or Thurs after work?

Went out for a few hours this afternoon on first lake. Had 10 inches of ice, and there was a pickup parked on the ice. Not a single bite.

So haaad, sorry< can't fish those nights gotta coach the little guy at grappling practice. Weds typically work better but I have to finish shopping this week. I will be out of the loop till this weekend. My brother in law and his family are coming in from Belgium this week so I may not get out on the ice till after new years:( I do like the new rod and it has pulled a few from the depths so far but nope, it will not be my truck! E-mail me maybe we can plan a foray!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Ten inches of good, consistent ice is usually good for most any car or regular pick-up.

The problem is you don't know where it could be thinner in some areas, so in those situations, it's better if ya just wait with the vehicles.

Good luck, I have a newer blue Clam x2, stop by & say Hi!

Well, thats the rub isn't it. You may find 10 inches here, but only 6 over there. THere are also several heave lines on first lake. You can see a lot of rough areas as well from the slush. The snowpack is really down now, and I may go ahead and start dragging my portable with me, but it has been bucket fishing for my lazy butt. Just too hard to drag my house out if there is a bunch of snow or slush, and I have never felt the urge to buy any small vehicles to putz around on. I am dying for a good 16 inches so I can feel confident taking my fishing truck out. I am sure a few of you guys had to have seen it last year, 635134206.jpg That is my favorite mobile solution. I have a clam 6800, but really don't like hauling it around. It does not slide well. I did add a thin plywood floor and some outdoor carpet to it, and that makes it much more comfortable inside. It fits nicely in the fishing truck though, and once there is decent ice, I will just drive it out for colder days. On nice days though, I just fish from the truck. Have only been back in MN for a few years, and slowly remembering how to fish the ice. Been a while. Sure was a shock to see the changes in Flake after a 15 year absence...

howpeculiar, I have seen that suburban out there in the past! You fish that area pretty often from what i can recall. There is some great fishing to be had on FL and it is this time of year to do it. Glad to hear you and your pop, brother are going to fish the contest. Great for the local economy. LOOGIE, I think I saw your shack out on the lake there was another shack parked nearby with a minivan out there. A decent spot early and as the traffic ramps up the bite will go on a bit later but you should see some crappie action and a few eyes there at night with mainly pike and a few sunfish and a ton of tiny perch out ther3e during the daylight hours. I am hoping to get my permanant shack out there this year after a 4 year hiatus due to iffy ice. Looks like your are going to get the ice conditions you are looking for this winter!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Tunrevir, I try to get out there as often as I can. I really have a few spots I like to fish on first lake, but no real reason for it, they are the same spots I fished on that lake when I was a kid. I fish Clear once in a bit, and hit Chisago and Green once in a blue moon, but Flake is my comfort lake. Last year we also hit So Center. I am slowly upping my sophistication, and using a Marcum depth finder (looks like a flashlight) now instead of drilling a million holes and dropping a weight. I still do a lot of my fishin the same way I was taught as a kid, with a minnow and a bobber, but I am going to start trying a bit of jiggin this year to see if I can lure in more fish. Thinking about maybe trying one of the flashers this year as well, I may have my neighbor show me how to use his and try it out. Not sure if I want to turn fishing into work though, and the way he fishes is a lot of work, moving constantly between a dozen holes.

Howpeculiar, I would definately try out the Marcum or a vexilar. Once you fish with one for panfish and get the hang of it you won't want to fish without one again. Good luck out there, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that fishing machine of yours and if I see you out I'll stop and say hello.

Tunrevir~

Stop by anytime. Went out last night on a whim at 9. Drug my house out for the first time this year, and I remember why I don't like doing that, it sucks to pull. Went straight out from the landing on first lake with the intentions of dragging out to a favorite spot of mine, but settled on the first 12' reading I got on the LX-1. Was out for several hours, and did get one 2.5lb walleye. Got home at midnight, and I feel better now that I finally have at least one quality fish so far.

There aren't any spots right now that I feel are really off limits but If you have a larger vehical, I'd not stray too far from the shore. 1st lake is frozen and has 7-10" in most spots, second lake has 6-8+ in most spots and third has many springs so you never know but I'd say it is in the 6-10" range as well. It is your ride but I'd give it through this weekend or follow the other cars before I drove out there. My .02

Tunrevir~