• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The lake locked up progressively today with the west shores of first, second and third seeing quite a bit of ice. The channel between first and second lakes is frozen over with open areas on both the first and second lake sides. The area by willow point was mostly locked up with some open water seen there as well. The nightime forecasts calls for lows in the single digits and a light bit of snow so if the wind stays down things will look pretty good by the weekend with 2-3 " of walkable ice in many areas. The geeses and ducks continue to be a problem out on first lake and also in the bay so watch for the usual goose holes out there. The deeper areas of the lake should mostly freeze over tonight and again by the weekend the walkable ice might be there. I will continue to follow the ice making around the lake through this week and update this site as I come into the weekend. Looks like we might finally have a good year to fish out there!

Tunrevir~

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fisherman For a Lifetime

• muskie420

• howpeculiar

Today the lake froze up a little more. The area near willow point is froze up. It was a little windy today, and there's still some open water on third lake.

On a side note, I spotted the first ice fisherman of the year this afternoon on Sylvan.

Hey Guys,

With several inches of Snow coming this weekend, let's HOPE they freeze up good first, or hope all of that melts and freezes fresh & clean...

I just got off 1st lake. Walking straight off the landing, there is just a hair under 3 inches of ice for about 100 yards. Drilled and measured, not just eyeballed.

Looked like there were some spots still open with geese in them, and other spots that had just slicked over.

Tim

245 this afternoon it looked as though much of first lake had iced over. The area around Sargents point just outside of the narrows going into second lake was still open with an area running northeast and out towards the middle of second on the north side of the lake. The willow point area right from the access running east and out into the main lake was also still open water. There appeared to be a large area of open water out in the middle of third as well. The east side of the bay was till open and had alot of ducks and geese hanging out on the first lake side as well. If you are planning on getting out this weekend use extreme caution, bring your lifevests, hand spikes and a buddy! Myself, I'd give it another week to firm up a bit more. Seems to be a bit of a trend as far as the western edges being open on each lake with the exception being first lake. Use extreme caution, travel during daylight hours and check the ice as you go if you decide to head out, no fish is worth dying for!

Tunrevir~

I stopped by the second lake landing about 5pm yesterday (Thursday). The lake appeared to be iced up quite a ways out...although it appeared it was freshly iced over...because there seemed to be a distinct seperation between what appeared to be older ice near shore and the fresh sections out towards the lake more. I used the spud bar and found a couple inches of ice real close to shore...but when I ventured out 10 yards to check one of the newly frozen sections, the spud bar went thru on one whack...I didn't stick around to measure that ice. So I don't think it's quite ready yet for SAFE ice fishing.

I'll let you know if I see anyone out this weekend.

Update:

Lake 1, 4 inches measured ice straight out from the landing.

HOWEVER - there are random patches of open water all over the place.

What is interesting to me, is that we made 1" of good ice in about 24 hours with the temps we had yesterday and overnight. It would be nice if we had a couple more days before the snow came.

Tim

is there any geese still out on flake thats keep ice from form? let me know! i ll come n blastin them away!

Quote:

is there any geese still out on flake thats keep ice from form? let me know! i ll come n blastin them away!

Me Too!!!

Drove by the north ends of lake three and two a half hour ago. I figured I'd see some fishermen out there but it really didn't look safe with the open water out there. There was one portable directly south of willow point in that channel there...I assume he accessed that area from the south shore. Sorry...I didn't have time to stop and check the ice near shore...so this all a visual report.

so haaad...you've got mail as well.

Willow was one of the last areas to freeze this year especially right off the landing on the third lake side. It was open water as of last Thursday. Second lake also had an open area from the channel headed into second lake towards the point as of last Thursday afternoon. On the upside, first lake pretty much froze uniformly and there were a couple of portables out Sunday and again today off the beach, by the apartments and also on the north side of the channel between one and two. I'd say there will be adequate ice for walking by the weekend in most areas. The ice that I have checked is mostly about 4-5.5 inches and all on the areas of the lake that froze before the snow came. I would imagine that the areas that froze late would be in that range by the weekend and support foot traffic as well. Please take precautions out there and use a buddy or at least carry picks and wear a lifevest for these first outings. The ice is not uniform in depth and I'd be leary to travel anywhere too far from shore with a wheeler or sled.

Tunreivr~

tunrevir - have you been out in the middle of third yet and is it dafe????

Nope, the middle of the lake was still open last thursday and so was the access over by willow point. I haven't been brave enough to test out the ice with the snow over that way. If you go check the ice frequently. All this dang snow isn't helping matters much either.

Tunrevir~

Well, come sat morning, I'm going to start poking around on 3rd from the east landing. I feel pretty good about the ice out to the point, but beyond that I expect things to get a little sketchy.

I'm going to try some tip ups on the west side of lake 2 this Saturday. Ice should be ok if we stay away from the channel.

tunrevir - You going to be out Saturday?

Mike's Bait is reporting today that most of the popular shallow spots have 5" of ice (willow, etc).

Loogie, I'll be out on saturday and Sunday but Saturday I will be at a top secret spot catching walleyes all day and on sunday I will be lurking around out on first lake looking to add some crappies and eyes to the mix. Good luck out there this weekend and be careful!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I'll probably be out on 1st Sat. morning & Sunday afternoon. Good luck everyone.

Tunrevir - we gotta meet up sometime on the water or for a bite to eat...!

Quote:

Loogie, I'll be out on saturday and Sunday but Saturday I will be at a top secret spot catching walleyes all day and on sunday I will be lurking around out on first lake looking to add some crappies and eyes to the mix. Good luck out there this weekend and be careful!

Tunrevir~
cool.gif

am i even invited to your secret spot?!?!?!!? smile.gif

Quote:

secret spots on forest?i didn't know there was any.

sure theres r plenty of them. last year i was all by myself on one spot catchin 5-13" crappies with nobody around me 300 yards in radius so yea theres secret spot!

I have a couple of secret spots too.

Unfortunately none of them produce any fish.

I have never caught a wally our of Forest and would give my left nut for a good spot.

Ok, maybe not my left nut. How 'bout a beer?

Yeah there are some , me and a buddy found two crappie spots last year that gave up two 12", and a 13". the other a monster 15" both spots no neighbors!

Fishermanforalifetime, Yeah, I'd do lunch or a on ice story swapping with you sometime. There are some really overlooked spots all over Forest Lake because we are like sheep and tend to migrate to the packs of shacks. I regularly "prospect" areas that look promising. Sometimes you get what your after and other times you get blanked but it is really fun when you can start to put some patterns together and string together some similar spots and the beauty is each one holds potential and relatively no pressure! So get out there and prospect! Loogie, shoot me your e-mail and I'll give you some info to help you out.

Tunrevir~