• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Owasso This Weekend Here I Come!!!

JBMasterAngler

The ice making weather looks to be very good this week. I just might have to hit up owasso on sunday. I think this could be my favorite metro winter lake. It's only 5 minutes from my house in the hustle and bustle of st. paul and you can get a mixed bag of crappies, perch, walleyes, and maybe even a pike. All I'm asking for is 5 inches of ice...definitely keeping my fingers crossed!

JB -

Drove by Owasso on Monday and it was wide open out from the beach. I know it's been cold but that might be pushing it. Maybe you should try the Ice Show to get your fix. The ice will be here soon enough. Good Luck if you get out. Leave us a report.

Hey JB!

I've been watching Owasso as well. I too live 5 minutes away and have had good success out there over the years. I drove by the south end of the lake this morning near Victoria and County Rd C... There was solid ice as far as I could see. However, this end of the lake always freezes up first. I'd have to agree with the Spook, this weekend might be pushing it a bit. But who knows?? With this cold weather we're having we'll be making ice!

We should chat sometime and compare notes. Do you ever fish Owasso in the open water season? Maybe I'll see you out there this winter!

Steve

Owasso is a good all around lake in all seasons. Muskies out there!!! I've had some nice luck on the south end in the hole for some smaller crappies. I think there should be enough ice to walk out by next weekend. I'm with the rest of these guys thinking that this weekend is a bit ambitious. Maybe middle next week could work. I can't wait to get out there though. Had several nice eyes out on this body of water last summer 15-20" fish are not terribly uncommon. The crappies are of the smaller variety, caught a couple ciscoes too.

---Zdaddy

I'll be heading out to Owasso quite a bit also this year. If anyone wants to fish sometime, my email is [email protected] I am always looking for ice fishing partners during the weeknights and weekends. Good luck and let's keep the reports of ice depths and catches coming.

GoggleEye

I'll try and check out the south bay by the retirement home this weekend some time. I'll chisel it out and see what is there while wearing a life jacket...

---Zdaddy

I WOULD THINK IF YOU HAVE THE ITCH TO GET ON THE ICE, I THINK YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON THE SNAKES IN JOSEPHINE. IT IS PRETTY SHALLOW BY THE RAMP AND IF YOU GO THROUGH THERE, IT WONT BE SO BAD.

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I AM NOT GOING TO COUNT MY CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH. LAST YEAR I WAS ALL GIDDY ABOUT THE NO SNOW AND ICE MAKING TEMPERATURES AND THEN WE HIT A WEEK AND A HALF OF 40'S AND 50'S AND RAIN. KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED.

I only fish it in the winter. In the summer I'm either up north or on the rivers. Winter is when I get to hammer the metro area! Yeah, getting out there sunday might be iffy. I just might have to wait 1 more week. Unfortunately I'll have to pass the time doing house work frown.gif

Very soon guys very soon. We need to make the wind stop we should all tell our wifes and girlfriends to keep their yappers shut about us going fishing all the time. Lot of hot air (Just Kidding) maybe

I drove by owasso tonight. Most of it was froze by the landing, but there was still a decent amount of open water from the point by the beach and to the east. On the west side of the lake spots were still open from the wind. It's close to sealed up, but not all the way. If the wind dies it'll be looking pretty good with temps not getting above freezing for the next couple of weeks. (or so they say)

Versus

Josephine is a strange lake. It never freezes evenly. I'm pretty sure that there are some springs in there. I am always leery about this lake. It can have 6" in one spot and 2" in another.

---Zdaddy

i think it is pretty good in front of the beach and landing. however, last year it was frozen over and then a hole started to open in the middle in front of the landing and almost made it to shore.

there is another spot on Owasso around the point that can be a bit dicey. last year there were guys out in hole by the landing with 6 inches of ice. i tried to get around the point and found myself sitting on 1" of ice. you never know until you get that first real blast of -5 for three or four nights and no wind and snow.

i just hope we dont get much snow to slow the process down.

I agree SF, you really have to be careful on that north end of Owasso, the sun tends to beat down on that side all winter. The South end of the lake is not very accessable but if you can sneak out there off of victoria the ice is usually much better in that little back bay near the retirement home. Not much for action back there though. Really small Crappies that look like perch?? Weird. I think it's a good place to run tip ups though. Northern and Muskie could be in there eating these little guys.

---Zdaddy

I know a couple of people that live down on that south section on the East Side and that might be my route out instead of working that north side. Still, it is always nice to see a couple of other guys be the first to be out there. The only problem is trying to figure out if they are fatter than I am. wink.gif

If you see an older trap out there (one without the front door zipper) it's me and I'm 260lbs (more with bib's and boots)

---Zdaddy

What about nearby island lake? How is the ice there? I know there's only potato chips in there, but I'm not too worried about size...just want to get out and shake the rust off.

Island lake has been sealed up since the weekend. I'm not saying it's good to walk out on, but I haven't seen any open water out there since friday or saturday.

just checked Josephine 10 min ago and it is still mostly open. Como, however had 3 to 4 inches on it aboot 50 yards from shore.

just drove by owasso 10 minutes ago. the open area in front of the landing is shrinking, the northwest bay is completely frozen over, but there seems to be fairly large areas of open water out towards the location of the ski jump. dont think anyone will be out there this weekend, but maybe by next weekend if this keeps up. will report what i see over the weekend.

All this snow has definitely killed my urge to get out. Looka like next week it is...gives me more time to get my gear ready.

Its nice to see that a lot of FMers can be found on this metro lake. I as well have found myself on Owasso to get my ice fishing fix in. It is near by, easy access, and can at times really be a little diamond in the rough.

I have found that the lake does hold a very good crappie population. However, the population is dominated by 6" paper thin fish. Each year I think that these fish will one year be classes of 10-12" slabs but so far that has not ever happened. I have got into an occassional 10-12" fish so they definatly are there. It is just that there appears to be a stunted population that continues to rule the lake. Which for that kid getting his first taste of two of ice fishing makes for a good time.

The walleye, pike, and musky, are hit and miss but there are some pigs out there so don't be suprised.

What I do want to try this year is hitting the smaller Wabasso lake just across the street from Owasso. It is very deep but has some shallow weedy areas as well that should hold sunfish. I know there are bass, crappie, pike, and eyes in there as well. However, in the summer the best way to access and fish is kayak or canoe as the launch for a bigger boat is not a good thing. I have seen the occassional ice angler on Wabasso but have yet to venture there on the hard water. Anyone plans a little Wabasso run or knows the little lake I would be interested. I am catch and release so any secrets shared would be safe and the fish would be there again for another day.

I also frequent Owasso and have had thoughts of wabasso but have never pulled the trigger on it... Looks like we have a good amount of people who fish Owasso though! I usually fish in the basin out from the launch and catch them darn 6 inch crappies and have yet to hook into a decent one. It would be great if someone would like to compare notes on the lake... my email is [email protected] if anyone wants to chat about it.

Later,

Ryan

Maybe we should have an Owasso get together this year?? If we're all out there together we might as well know who's fishing next to us! grin.gif Anyhow, it was just a thought... Let's keep this thread going and see what happens once the ice thickens up.

Steve

I'm up for a get together. Always nice to meet new folks. Did anyone hit Owasso this last weekend? How'd ya do?

Drove by there tonight and someone was out there with a lantern straight out from the access. There were a couple of spots that were either open, or just froze over as there was no snow on these spots. If anybody goes out, be careful. I was up by Brainerd this past weekend and most of the lake had 8" of solid clear ice, but there was one spot on the lake that must have just recently frozen because there was only about 2" of ice on it when we drilled through. My buddy almost dropped a deuce and fell down away from the thin ice thankfuly. Now with the snow covering the thin ice, it will be very hard to tell where the thin spots are.

A little metro get together sounds fun. I have attended a few over the years and always nice to meet fellow anglers and grill a brat or two. We did a Phalen get together a few years back. Good turn out but for the most part the fish were a little shy.

I do have to scratch my itch on Wabasso. It is small and deep but I know it has some healthy fish in in it just never went out.

Maybe something in late Dec or early Jan when the ice should be in good shape. On owasso there is actually a ton of parking by the beach and easy access if a small group showed up on a weekend

i have tried owasso a few times for crappie on the north end a few times. Noting much. No one else was getting em either.

I've been out on Owasso 25+ times in the past two years. It's a good lake to get some quick action on crappies, but they are all pretty small. I can count the number of 8 inch crappies on one hand. But I have ran into the occasional walleye, again, pretty small. I have never tried putting out a tip up, but I have seen some nice pike pulled through.