Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uffdapete

New rule

4 posts in this topic

Kudos to the powers to be on this one! If I remember correctly Woody sparked a debate, or at least did his part in exposing the ridiculous nature of having portable shelters licensed anyway. What would be next licensing warm boots, gloves, or possibly snow pants? Seems sometimes you just accept things rather than challenge. I was told at one point the license fee's are to offset monies used to help clean up the shorelines due to the excess garbage scattered on the hardwater from area ice fisherman. I'm not sure that to be the case, and may very well be mis-information. Regardless lets all as hardwater anglers try do our part in keeping the ice clean of debris. Of course this pollution problem then just settles into our bottoms and shorelines come spring. I personally question whether these monies were ever used to help clean up after ice fisherman, but sounds like a nice counter. I have mentioned to a few anglers that I thought it would be a nice idea to make a spin off from the adopt a section of highway, and have certain business's as well as organizations sponser public landings and adjacent areas. My guess is with a little leg work we could produce signs showing the sponsorship for a little passive advertising or what have you. I spend time here in the bay in which I live during the spring paddling the shorelines and picking up piles of garbage and beer cans. Most importantly we as the beneficiaries of these magnificent waters could take an active role in the preservation as increased usage and activity on our waters are a foregone conclusion. Just food for thought! Good Fishing! Thanks Uffda for bringing this new information to all our followers as my guess would be this will be new and helpfull info for many!

RD

Maybe a late ice clean up would be a good project for the sportfishing club - like after the houses have to be off. I'll try to remember to bring it up at the next meeting.

Meanwhile........what RD said. Let's go out of our way to keep it clean. I've talked to divers who reported that the amount and type of junk they saw on the bottom would scare ya.

That's really too bad! I'm all for stiffer penalties for pollution! Maybe there should be some sort of public movement to crack down on people. It is fair to say that it is a tough thing to police. Seems many either can't be educated or just simply could care less! Really too bad! I really doubt the general public doesn't understand that they should keep there garbage and dispose of it properly. We as a society are becoming lazy and wasteful. I remember when I was much younger paddling up along side another canoe in the BWCA as I watched him pitch his cigarette butts in the water. I just couldn't take it anymore. He was with his young son, and seemed to be rather taken off guard when I asked him why he was littering in arguably one of the most pristine places in the world. Surely he thought I was being an ***, but maybe just maybe that stuck with his son! Seems if people would spend more time working on themselves and there own habits we could spend less time worrying about someone else, or being charged fees to clean up after our lazy ***!

RD