Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AceintheHole

South metro ice reports

46 posts in this topic

Just wondering ice conditions on Prior, Spring, Carls, O'dowd, Cedar ect...... Just can't wait but I'm sure I speak for all of us.

Small ponds mostly iced over in Burnsville. The north side of Lower Prior Lake is wide open, with what looked like skimming on the south side.

the small pond by my house in Eagan has 1 1/2 compared to yesterday it was 1/2 inch

i live in lonsdale and the local ponds have been iced over since last friday. I checked out cody and phelps last friday and cody was 100% iced over with about 1/2" and phelps had iced over with alot of open water pockets. But i havent check since then due to work. i would think there should be no problem walking out this weeked on certain lakes, but who knows with the wind. i would just bring a friend and a rope. i am heading up north........ grin.gif

The small pond by my house has been froze over since the weekend. Drove by carls yesterday and there was open water from the access out around the point then all the way east. South side had ice on it.

As of 2pm today, Carls was 80% open water. Marion was frozen with skim ice as was Cedar Lake near New Prague. Need colder weather for longer period of time before we see much chance of fishing. Don't go getting crazy and go out too soon.

just checked the pond again and it is now at 2 1/2 inches seems like an inch a day! so knowing there is cold weather staying im fishing this weekend!

I checked Mitchell Lake in Eden Prairie with my spud bar and a measuring tape. I measure 2" close to shore. So we're getting closer....

We need to get rid of this wind!!!!!! all were going to do is make ice and then break it right back up again

Quote:

We need to get rid of this wind!!!!!! all were going to do is make ice and then break it right back up again

Thats certainly true on the larger lakes. The smaller lakes and ponds are locked up and making ice quick! wink.gif

I made it out tonight on a very small lake that had 2 or so inches. I didn't venture more than a 50ft from shore and didn't fish in more than 5ft of water(max lake depth is 6ft). I didn't get out there until well after dark so I did not do so hot, but just to be able to get out there again was a blessing. Did manage a smaller crappie on a #3 Orange Dace Chubby Darter, so I can't say that I got skunked smirk.gif. I had the ice picks on the coat and spudded my way out.

reynolds i live in eagan also what lake were you on?

I was out on Thomas Lake which is right out my front door. I don't imagine there's much in there, but I wanted to give it go, so I was out for thirty minutes or so.

riley had ice for about 40 yds out from shore, now it is all gone due to the wind.

No ice on prior. Even in the smaller bays of lower prior have no ice. The wind has to go down.

Man i cant wait for those lakes to freeze! Rather be safe than sorry though!

Does anyone know of any early ice walleye techniques?!

Lets just have fun fishin and be SAFE. I know we are all eager to get out but we got some snow on the way 5-10" so it's going to make a real mess of thing out there. So remember SAFTY FIRST

Still no ice on Lake Riley...

Whitecaps on Lower Prior Lake this afternoon. Probably good that it doesn't ice over before the snow hits.

How about the ice on O'dowd? does anyone know what the ice is there if there is any?

Very little ice out there. I was out fishing last wekeend and just had a abit in the corners. I can't wait to get ut there though. Hope this weekend's snow dosn't goof it up smile.gif

i know i cant wait to get out i just want to get into some walleyes or northerns! but i guess im going to have to wait...

wow does this snow ever suck... this is going to really put a damper on things, but idk we will still make ice just very slow. im hoping to be out by next weekend catching some eyes or northerns!

lower prior lake 4-5" with lots of snow and slush I only went out about 100 yards from boat landing. Should be able to get out next weekend

Yeah, prior is Iced up nice. Certain spots I checked Were only about an inch and a half, and that ice was very weak. Other spots were 3 inches and fishable. The spot I fished had 4 or 5 inches. The fishing kinda sucked though. The same old 7 inch and under sunfish and the 6 inch and under crappies that prior usually deals. Some of the sunfish acctually were close to about 8 inches but only about 2 out of a hundred. A lot of these areas are not worth the early ice hassle and crowds. Im sure by now lakes further north are fully walkable. Maybe not the big ones like Waska or Ottertail but the little ones in those areas. Waska should be a go by next weekend unless the weathers bunk.