• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice fishing portable / new rule

hey guys,..,I was reading about this in a thread on the ice forrum,..i get that if you leave your protable unattended, over night,.that you are required to have an ice house license,...but what if it's mid day,...and you and your buddy want to head into town for some lunch or what ever,. and go back to your portable to fish before sundown,...basic question here is do you need to have a license to leave your portable on the ice and un-atended,...any time of day,. or just over night,..I personally don't like to leave my portables unattended at any time,. for fear of how portable they might be when no ones there,...but still a valid question,..any one know the answer???

From what the new rule said its only if you leave the ice house unattended overnight that you will need a license

Depends on how you interpret the rule. The new rules seem to state that any time your ice house is left unattended (which to me means any time that you leave the ice) it needs to have a license, day or night. But I am not 100% on this, I just wouldn't want a ticket for grabbing lunch without a license on my shack. If I leave the ice my portable comes with me anyway, even though its licensed, I don't need to tempt anyone into helping themselves to my stuff.

all right tyler and rugbyguy, i need to know the early ice spots around roch area. this is only my 2nd hard water season here, looking for early season spots and also hoping to get out to some of your events. grin.gif

Quote:

all right tyler and rugbyguy, i need to know the early ice spots around roch area. this is only my 2nd hard water season here, looking for early season spots and also hoping to get out to some of your events.
grin.gif

You've come to the right place.. Keep an eye on this forum and you'll soon be in the know.

For early ice (like this weekend), its basically a search for safety. The Dike road in Wabasha and KR7 are usually the first to freeze. I'll hopefully be on both this weekend.

I'm going to try to tackle Chester Woods a little harder this year. That lake has some good potential, but is challenging to learn atop the ice.

TD,

Some of the best panfishing in SE Minnesota can take place on Lake Zumbro. Shhh! Those traveling to the Mississippi and Fairbault might find out. Not necessarily a early season spot due to the current. I fished the mighty Zumbro pretty hard when I used to live down there. Nice crappies, sunnies and perch to be had. Most the fish on the zumbro are tight to the bottom probably feeding on blood worms. Try using red eurolarve pounding the bottom. Work your electronics hard and you'll have great ice fishing down there! Oh yeah don't be surpised when you tangle with those big cats as they like those subtle presentations also!

Good Fishing!

RD

Quote:

Oh yeah don't be surpised when you tangle with those big cats as they like those subtle presentations also!

Good Fishing!

RD

I love to hear that kind of talk!!