• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another Legality Question...

Rip_Some_Lip

I was wondering if it was legal to carry a shotgun and birdshot in your vehicle while out deer hunting. I dont do it because I dont know if it is legal or not. Sometimes we deer hunt in a different area than we live and it would be nice to chase a pheasant or two on the way to and from the deer hunting spots. If someone knows anything please let me know. Thanks.

Kingfisher, I don't think that is right. You can carry a shotgun and bird shot with you while deer hunting (unless we are talking bow hunting). We shoot a lot of roosters during the deer season around here...

Thanks for the replies. I will search for the previously discussed topic, but what you are saying is that I can carry my muzzleloader and my shotgun with shot while walking an area? Seeing that you are a lawer, Lawdog, I would think you know what you are talking about. If this is true, I would have never guessed it is legal. I could see carrying it in the truck and hunting with one or the other.

Rip, you can carry one gun, with two different kinds of legal shot, I don't think you can carry two different kinds of firearms, I'm nost sure why you'd want to.

How about someone giving the basis for their opinion such as a reference to a page in the regs, or a state law? Opinions don't count for much unless you're a CO or a judge.

This was also part of the previous discussion. The only time that I am aware that you cannot carry multiple weapons is for bow hunting (except for bear). It may not be very practical but it is legal nonetheless to carry different arms for different purposes.

Bob

Edit: Be aware that you still can't use the weapons interchangeably. Nor does it supercede other restrictions. For example, I might be able to carry a rifle for deer and a shotgun for grouse but I can't use the shot to take the deer. Also, if I'm hunting waterfowl all ammunition in my possession must be non-toxic.

I wouldnt really want to carry two guns, one gets heavy enough...lol. Although, I could carry my muzzleloader over my shoulder with the sling and my 12 ga. in my hands....hmmm. No seriously, I was asking more about having the shotgun in the vehicle while muzzleloading in case we see some birds or walk a ditch or grassland for birds. I was always under the impression that you couldnt have shot in posession while slug hunting though.

Quote:

you couldnt have shot in posession while slug hunting though.

You cannot have slugs on you when your bird hunting//

Without a doubt, you can have your pheasant gun and shot in your vehicle while on your deer hunt. You cannot however, have your shot gun, bird shot, AND slugs on you in the field.

The DNR doesn't want people getting the shells mixed up and start throwing shot at deer and slugs at pheasants. blush.gif

You have to choose one or the other.

I tried the DNR website to find out for sure, the legality of carrying an ML and shotgun for birds at the same time but didn't see it. I need a book. I beleive you can though.

I sure would like the last few posters who say you can't have shot and slugs at the same time to cite to some statute or rule that says so because to the best of my knowledge (which belief we have also confirmed with various CO's over the years by the way) there is no such prohibition. In essence both seasons are open and I have licenses for both so I can hunt both at the same time.

You can't shoot a deer with shot or a rooster with a slug, but that does not mean you cannot have them both in posession. Like BobT said too there is the non-toxic issue for migratory, but that's a different question I believe.

I emailed the DNR last year asking about having both kind of shells (shot and slug) while out hunting. It is okay to do. In fact, I asked about walking to a stand and having a shotshell in the chamber with a slug behind. Okay to do.

So, can I have lead shot on me (for pheasants) when duck hunting? I thought this was illegal...or is this a totally different situation.

Quote:

So, can I have lead shot on me (for pheasants) when duck hunting? I thought this was illegal...or is this a totally different situation.

You are correct, that would be illegal. Duck hunting and lead shot are a big no-no. Even a box of lead shot in your blind bag will lead you to big problems.

I would just shoot the pheasant with my steel if the opportunity arised. Problem solved. grin.gif

HH,

No, they've said you can't mix lead and waterfowl together, no matter what.

To the other part of shot and slugs not only on you but in the same gun???? OH! The deer we could have had! crazy.gif

Our camp has always hunted under that rule. Too bad for us I guess. Or maybe not, because we always hunt pheasants with dogs.... Ahh... the reason.

Legal firearms for Big Game page 57 line 2: [it is loaded only with single projectile ammunition.] I don't believe you can mix the magazine, shot and slugs. The shotgun used for deer hunting may only contain single projectile ammunition.

I guess when I am deer hunting, I am deer hunting.

And when I am pheasant hunting, I am pheasant hunting.

I never mix the two or carry two different shells.

With my luck, I will reload to shoot that pheasant and scare up a big buck in the grass.

Or, I will reload by mistake with the wrong shell.

I just I feel I have plenty of time to do one or the other...not both at the same time. To each his own though!

Sounds like the wardens need to get together on this! A couple years back we were told by a game warden that it was illegal to shoot pheasants while we were hunting deer?????????

I was thinking the same thing...

Last night I asked the 3 other guys I hunted with today what they thought and they all had a different answer. So I pick up the regs sitting on the table and about the only part that I found addressing this question was exactly where Scout II cited.

Page 57, bullet two under legal arms for deer. Quoted as he did also(loaded only with single projectile ammo). I'm not sure how that could be misinterpreted.

Not trying to start a war but it never did seem right to me. And sorry if this was beat to death last year also.

The ability to carry a smoke stick while pheasant hunting could fall under the fact that it is legal to carry two firearms at the same time and legal to take all game you are licensed for. But they pretty much iced what constitutes a legal deer firearm. IMO.

Wanderer- thats exactly how I understand single projectile.

Buckshot was the intent of that law. However due to the "grey area" allowed the wardens discretion and I have seen a guy get tagged for that years ago but he did get tagged.

If you got a email stating otherwise print it out and carry it with ya..Ya never know when you may need to discuss this.. So take your chances..