• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes?

spinnerfisher

Im sure this has been on here and i missed it, but i was wondering what the slot is going to be this winter and if its true that you can eat walleye on the ice, I got a house through Kelly Jan 18th and 19th and i know he has cook stoves in there, so think it would be awesome to have a fresh walleye dinner while catching a walleye!!! cant wait!

I dont think you can eat your walleyes on the ice. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that you must go to shore to eat your catch on lakes with a slot limit. I think you are able to eat crappies and perch, but not the eyes and northerns cause of the slot. As Kelly said, the fish you do eat count towards your limit that day. Maybe some of the locals could give suggestions of where to get your fish cooked. It is less than a month until I go and I can't wait!!

For what ever reason, the State legislature thought it a good idea to allow people to clean and eat their walleyes on Red this year... so no, you do not have to go to shore. You are to keep your carcasses to be measured by the CO and they count towards your daily limit even after eaten.

If you do want to go to shore, Westwinds does a bang up job on a walleye dinner. I believe it's $7.95 and no dishes! grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

I hadn't read anything about keeping the carcass, but it makes sense. Guess I'd better not toss 'em into the poo bag until we come off the ice. grin.gif

Can someone direct me to where legislature has passed this....according to FAN Outdoors this weekend it was still in the works but has NOT been passed....thanks

Thanks for the link....it's funny how the head dnr guy they had on the radio had no clue that this was already in effect....go figure.

more scary than funny frown.gif

I have much more confidence in their folks in the field than in the bureaucrats in St Paul

Quote:

I hadn't read anything about keeping the carcass, but it makes sense. Guess I'd better not toss 'em into the poo bag until we come off the ice.
grin.gif

The DNR is currently working on the language and how it is going to read but I can assure you one thing after attending the advisory meeting the COs are not messing around with it one bit. As soon as the DNR releases the paperwork I will try to post a copy of it.

Quote:

I second westwind.I still can not deep fry fish as well as them or match the batter.

I'll third that. They do a nice job.

need some verification. we are headed up on a 3 day trip. fri-sun. we plan on eating some fish. so can we keep 2 day. so 6 total to go home with. and out of that six we can eat some which we have to keep the carcusses that count to the limit.

your 2 fish dailey is also your possesion limit for Red. So if you catch 2 on friday and eat one then you can keep one Saturday..........I am pretty sure this is still the case for Red

How can a fish carcass be accurately measured?

I can imagine some of the hatchet jobs of guys cleaning fish in houses that aren't set up for the task--

If you got here on friday and caught 2 fish that were under the slot 17 inches you could eat those two fish. Then on saturday you could eat two more, Then you could keep two on sunday to take home. Your only allowed two red lake walleyes in your possession at any time.

This should be a nightmare for enforcement. Imagine if you clean more than you can eat, then the filets aren't legal to transport. So you'd have to stay another night and have fish again ? until you get it right. Seriously I think we're lucky to live in a Democracy where talking to your representives can actually make a difference. I think this is how this new regulation came about. Will I cook some fish? Sure. Stan C. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Same as last year and it worked out good.WE had four guys and we constantly cought fish the fun was catching fish 16 and three quarter so out of the four of us we may be took five fish of that size had a great dinner for all and every one was happy.

not a good regulation....maybe for you and I that follow rules but anyone that has been on Red knows that there are alot of slobs that have no respect for the lake and the rules...but this goes for any lake. Now you can lock yourself in your house catch, clean, and eat fish without anyone checking you legaly in your shelter. Sorry I love to eat fish as much as the next guy but I can wait to get to shore. Drop a camera down holes where sleepers were set-up this year and I bet you see fillet less carcasses on the bottom of the lake!!!!

ozzie I respectfully disagree. The change will make it legal for the person who does follow the law to enjoy fresh caught fish. That is what it is designed to do. The filleted fish at the bottom of the lake have been there in the past and will be there in the future. The people who do this don't care about the law. I for one enjoy eating fish in the fishouse.

it is just making it even easier for the law breakers is all I'm saying......now the CO can smell cooked fish and can't investigate......before the smell of frying fish I assume would lead to reasonable doubt and they could enter the fish house now they have to sit on the ice and can't do a thing.....but like you said at least the law abiding fishermen can now enjoy a meal of freshley caught fish....enjoy the season and good luck!!

I'd have to agree with subzero- the criminal element generally would know they were breaking the law and not cook fish in the house-- just fillet and hide the fish and dump juts down the hole as not to draw undue attention to themselves.

I'd have to still say it's a stupid law but doesn't mean I won't take advantage. I like fish as good as the next guy too and cooking in the fish house.

It kind of reminds me of deer hunting during the rut and party hunting bucks which I have problems with as well but still take advantage of smirk.gif

Well, if we cook fish on the lake it will be according to the regulation and legal, Any CO is always welcome in my fish house. Slobs who cheat will do it regardless of this rule or any others because their chance of being caught is very small. I look forward to the wording they come up with so it can work the way it is intended. I too think it is a bad regulation. Stan C.

Funny how people have been complaining about the no filleting or eating walleyes on the ice law last winter, now everyone is complaining because you can keep and eat walleyes on the ice, but the slot will be unenforceable.

Which do you want? confused.gif

Last year if you came up on friday through sunday and caught two keepers on friday unless you ate them you were done frown.gif as far as keeping any fish.I will still highly recommend having your fish cooked at westwind.Driving 200 miles for 2 fish. Now feasibly you could get 6 fish if you eat fish friday and saturday.Even if you do not catch 6 keepers it sounds better. The few law breakers are always going to break the law.While the majority are here to catch a few fish and have a good time.

I agree with Cookie, the people that have been whining about 200 miles and 2 fish are going to be happier with this law, and I am more than happy to drive to shore and throw my carcasses in a dumpster the next morning before fishing. But what about the people that are going to consider THAT a pain?? People are lazy. period. My next question is one that has been asked in the past, but I never really cared if I brought garbage home with me; how many/ where will the dumpsters be to throw them away? Will they be emptied more than once every month? Will the people complain about garbage in piles next to the dumpsters? I could come up with a few more, but you can chew on that...

I'm glad for this change. Last year was the first year with a sleeper and I was suprised you couldnt eat fish on a slotted lake.

If I understood the old rule, you could still eat fish on the ice, just not any slot protected fish. So, for example you could still fry up crappies on Upper red and Saugers on Lake of the Woods.

IMHO.. Regardless of the rule change, those that kept fish over the slot would do so either way. This change only helps those that obey the law and lets them enjoy a nice meal on the ice.