• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johan Santana

maros91

Gotta love rumors. I got my Mariners rumor from the Star Trib today. I agree that you can count Santana not going to the Mets unless Reyes is part of the deal which the Mets already said no to. I think its going to be the Yankees for Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky Cabrera and maybe one other throw in. I would do this trade.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maros91

• Mudcutter

• Coach1310

• Willy

I love rumors too! The fun thing is whatever you really think is going to happen isn't. Total blindside! grin.gif

I personally wouldn't trade Johann this early without getting at least a guy like Reyes and/or Wright. He's the best pitcher in the game, period. That's worth two studs in my mind. The Yanks offer is not enough and he Santanna stays in the AL. The Red SOx offer is even worse. THE Mets have more to offer, and if they really want to (the MEts) get over the hump--- they are going to have to give a REyes type player to get the best pitcher in baseball. I know that guys like reyes and Wright would likely not stay long IN MN becasue of $$,, but that gives us two guys to wheel and deal with, not one.

Don't count the MEts out just yet.

Everybody keeps saying that the Mets have more to offer.... yeah because you are talking about the best players on their team in Reyes, Wright etc. The Red Sox would have the most to offer if you start talking Manny and Ortiz and the Yankees have more to offer if you start talking Jeter and A-Rod. My opinion hasn't changed that it is gonna be the Yankees. Boston doesn't need him like the Yankees do and they are probably getting involved and releasing info to get the Yankees to give more. Johan may be the best pitcher in baseball, BUT everybody in the world knows we are gonna trade him so we may not get what we think we should AND if we hold out a long time and all the free agents pitchers have landed that will take some teams out of the mix, leading to less competition.

Quote:

Gotta love rumors. I got my Mariners rumor from the Star Trib today. I agree that you can count Santana not going to the Mets unless Reyes is part of the deal which the Mets already said no to. I think its going to be the Yankees for Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky Cabrera and maybe one other throw in.
I would do this trade.

I would also do this trade. Although in the back of my mind I have questions about Phil Hughes' durability.

Best players on their teams??--- comapred to the most feared pitcher in baseball?? outside maybe Beckett. Manny is nearly washed up and A-Rod is way over $$ for the Twins. Jeter is a Yank for life and we need no first baseman and can fill the DH with someone else other than Ortiz. The Mets have our needs, the others in my mind, don't. Plus, they are in NL. We could have Reyes and Wright for a few years before the leave for $$ reasons, but maybe we could make a decent run with a fearsome lineup for few years?? Reyes-Young-Mauer,Wright,MOrneau,Cuddyer-Kubel etc...

The Twins just can't pass up the Hughes - Cabrera - Kennedy deal... That's the best offer they are going to see, and I definitely think they should take it.

I just hope the Twins make a deal. Does Johan have a no trade clause ? If so that does worry me a bit, cuz he and his agent just may play out this contract and wait for free angency. There teams will pay him what he wants without dealing any prospects or studs. I feel the longer this goes on the less likely we will get true value for Santana.

With Nathan, the Twins may roll the dice and keep him to start the season hoping that another teams closer stinks or gets hurt and are desperate for acloser. All we can do is guess and see what plays out.

Santana does have a no trade clause, which means he can veto any trade to anybody. If he waves his clause he can ask for an extension of 6yr 150 million dollar.

I see the Red Sox up their offer to include Jacoby Ellsbury. I also seen that Kennedy is not part of the Yankees deal anymore and that the Yanks and Bo Sox will pull their offers in the next 72 hours if the Twins don't decide.

My prediction: Santana will be wearing pinstripes by Tuesday with the Twins getting Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and 1 or 2 other lower prospects.

Other prediction: Nathan will be dealt during the winter meetings.

Santana is good enough to get one of either Reyes or Wright. And being the best pitcher in the game and not a posistion player, he deservers at least Reyes or Wright and at least a top prospect.

How About this== Santanna-Nathan for Reyes and Wright??

Wagner struggles with injury, and even if he stays healthy, they would have a awesome one-two punch in the 8-9 with them and the best pitcher in MLB.

What the Yanks are offering is not what we need.

We have lots of "HUghes" allready in our org.

I see Santana wants out, he can smell the big money, he is almost forcing a trade to happen now. Oh well get the most you can for him, try to trade him to a NL team if possible. The twins should have a good line up next year, if they can get some good starters for him.

Cant blame the Twins, there just needs to be a salary cap, for the smaller market teamns to compete. Without one, there is noway any team other then the big 5 or 6 can pay these huge contracts. Nor should they. But baseball sucks up to the east coast so much it will never happen!

Well Johan will not be going to the Mets. ROTOWORLD is reporting that Johan will only lift his no trade clause for a trade to either the Red Sox or Yankees. I'd look for something to be done over the next 24 hours as I thought I'd heard that the Yankees were going to pull their offer off the table come Tuesday if nothing was worked out. Hopefully they don't screw this up and let him walk after next season and get nothing in return like they did Hunter.

I agree that you need to trade players like this rather than lose them via free agency and get "nothing" in return. However, what most people don't realize or don't remember is that "nothing" is actually something. When you lose free agents in baseball, you actually get a draft pick (sometimes more than one) as compensation for losing the free agent. I believe the Twins picked up two when they lost Hunter. Interesting note that I heard on the radio today was that when the Yankees lost Andy Pettitte to the Astros via free agency, that's how they picked up Phillip Hughes. The pick they got for Pettitte was used to pick Hughes.

I'm not suggesting that the Twins should take their chances with Santana because of that. Just throwing that out there so people can understand why teams are sometimes willing to let someone walk rather than trade them away to "get something".

Aaron

Mudcuttter- So, previously you said Johan is worth two studs...like Wright and Reyes and now you are packaging Johan and Nathan for Reyes and Wright. Would I love to have both of those guys?? Sure, but it isn't going to happen. They won't give them up and I'm not sure Johan will go to the Mets. As far as needing a Shortstop...according the numbers I have, we got a better shortstop in the trade with the Rays then we gave up:

Last seasons stats:

Bartlett- .265 43rbi's 27 errors 140 games

Harris- .286 59rbi's 12 Hr's 12 errors 137 games

As much as I would love to have Reyes we don't need a Shortstop as much as we need a Center Fielder, unless you are in love with Jason Tyner. As far as the Yankees pulling their deal off the table....just like they weren't gonna negotiate with A-Rod once he opted out.... I read on another site that the Twins make seek tampering charges against Hank Stein"bummer" for his comments... The Red Sox have supposedly agreed to include Elsbury in a deal. I would rather have Elsbury and Birkholz than Hughes and Cabrera...but who knows. I still think there is a chance the Twins sit on him until the deadline. I hope not, but I think there is a chance. By the way, who is gonna play third for this club??

We have a 3rd baseman....Bucher{sp).Give him a spring training with Gardy, and he will learn to field. He can hit and Punto will come in in the late innings for defense.

Bucher(sp) is better off wearing his glove on his foot than his hand. Someone has to tell him that he is playing baseball and not soccer. I have no idea who is playing third. If Punto is our starter it will be a long year.

I don't like the idea of him being traded to an AL team but at the same time it sounds like those are the only realistic destinations at this point. Think the three yankee players for Santana would be a decent trade. Gets us that cf and a couple arms.

I disagree that Santana was the best pitcher in bb this year. Not so sure if he was even top 5 in 2007. Not sure if it was an abberation or maybe he's lost a little. It's quite evident he won't be here after next season though regardless of what happens this offseason.

I think the Twins did the right thing, and not giving into The yanks, or to boston. There is plenty of trade talk time left. And at worst if we dont trade him, we will just need to suffer with having him pitch for us one more year! And if he sticks with the no mid-season trades, we will just get a couple draft picks. Im not saying that is the best option, I would rather get a good trade, but I dont think we should trade away the best pitcher in baseball the last 5 years, fo a couple of prospects. I dont want him to go to the yankees , I would rather see him in boston. I dont like boston that much either, but they arent the yankees, and if he was playing for boston he could be a yankee killer smirk.gif.

Whatever they do, I dont think they should just settle with less then they want to get for him. In the end I think the Twins will do what is right. They have been known to be on the better side of trades.

Sounds like the Twins have a couple offers from Boston. Namely the one I don't like: Lester, Crisp, Masterson, Lowrie and now it sounds like a 5th player has been added, Ryan Kalish, an outfield prospect.

Otherwise, they have an Ellsbury, Lowrie, Masterson. I like this deal better, but would want another prospect thrown in. Lester would seal it, maybe this Kalish is enough to do the deal.

Also, it sounds like the Angels are interested and have been dangling Jarod Weaver. They have a couple middle infield prospects that people are high on Wood and Kendrick. One of these guys hits for big power, I forget which. Maybe a solution to our 3B hole, although these guys are SS/2B.

I am a big fan of Jarod Weaver. Angels have alot of prospects to pick from. Who knows where Johan is going.

Quote:

They have a couple middle infield prospects that people are high on Wood and Kendrick. One of these guys hits for big power, I forget which. Maybe a solution to our 3B hole, although these guys are SS/2B.

I don't know about Kendrick. But Wood has very good power. Hit 40+ homers one year in the minors (A ball, I believe). Was named offensive player of the year that year over a prospect by the name of Delmon Young. He's played more shortstop than anything, but the Angels were using him at 3rd more than at short when they called him up at the end of the year.

Aaron

Yeah...when Wood came up this year he was playing 3B almost exclusively. Santana for Wood and Weaver would be the 'two stud' trade that has been mentioned earlier...and that would be a good trade, in my opinion.

For the Red Sox, they don't seem to want to include Ellsbury and Lester in the same deal...but I think that combo would also be a good trade for the Twins, if they could get it.

We will need at least 2 of the following to make a Sanatana trade work, a third high quality player would seal any of these deals. I want quality, not quantity. I am not interested in a SS with no range that hit .140 through winter ball and I don't care Melky all that much either.

My first choice guy would be the Wood or Kemp kid. Next in line Buckholtz, Ellsbury, then Hughes.

Ellsbury

Hughes

Cabrera

Kennedey

Buckholtz

Lester

Wood

Kendrick

Weaver

Santana (Erving)

Kemp

LaRoche

Billingsly

Kershaw

Well, the winter meetings came and went with Santana still a Twin. I heard the Dodgers are going to mak a run at him. Who knows were he will go. Maybe he will sign an extension here, who knows.

an extension would be my first choice (cuz i dont wear jerseys of former players), but if it doesnt work out i hope he goes to the NL.

If the Twins can sign him, I would prefer that. If not, its nice to see that they arent just going to give him away for a potential player. The Twins will trade him Im sure, they will get what they are asking also.

Its nice to see GM Bill Smith not "give in" to the almighty Yankees and stand firm on what he wants. I like this guy so far.