Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_King48

Best Guess

9 posts in this topic

When will the resorts let people fish?????? Which resort typically freezes over first?? Last year I went out of Zipple and had a good time, but I might try Pine Island this year a little more.....

Thats a good question as it will depend entirely on the weather and freeze up. Fisky reported some strong winds up that way. the temps are good but a couple of quiet days and nights to seal it up are needed. We had 5 above in St Cloud this morning, but 20 mph winds. Lets pray for quiet times.. Bill

King, usually around the second weekend in December or so. Zippel, Morris and The Pine island area all sort of freeze up about the same as far as 'when'.

Bill...twas -9 at 7am and the winds sklacked overnite. River is froze up shore to shore on Sportsmans webcam I see, was wide open yesterday morning!

Yhe wait won't be a long one this year and I have'nt even gotten ANY of my ice gear ready! That'll give me something to do the next coupla days anyhow. Did run the Jiffy a coupla weeks back though.

Fisky: Good to hear that the winds layed down. It was a bit of a mess last year over Pine where the winds picked up and tore up the ice that had formed. Hopefully nice and smooth like a skating rink this year. We're headed up the first time on Dec 26, don't see any problems by then.

You may want to kick it into high gear and get those rods rigged and ready. I know you like to hit it early and that could be by the weekend for walking ice. Be watching for your always interesting reports again this year. Bill

Hey Norm, noticed on another site that someone couldn't get thru to Long Pt resort. You heard anything? Maybe vacation time for the crew.

See you on the ice.

Your probably right Steve and they're vacationing during the off season.. Maybe real busy?

Bill.. "Hang on" as you say! The 26th will get here and we will leave a few with your name on them! One of my 'goals for the hardwater season' is to carry less rods/tackle and such so getting it ready won't be a problem!!! 3 rods and 8-10 lure varients for the first week or so!

Tic tock tic tock

Fisky make sure you get a hold of me as soon as you guys can walk out safely and get on some eyes. When do the pigs start coming back out of the river to the lake?

The locals fish the river all winter but admit that it often slows down after the 1st of the year.

That said, last year was excellent in the river from ice-up to ice/out so go figure.

I'll let you know for sure when were in boats next spring.LOL

By the way, the ice stopped moving at the Dutchman at 3:47 PM on Nov. 28th. We were setting trusses on our new managers unit and watching the huge sheets come down. Finally ground to a stop with a few open patches but appears to be solid this morning.

Gotta get things closed in so we can go bore some holes in a few days!

Think calm & cold!