• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dayton police find missing hunter's body

Sorgy

I found this on the Channel 5 website.

"Dayton police find missing hunter's body

Dayton Police found the body of missing deer hunter, Matthew Daniel, in a wooded area near a golf course Sunday.

Daniel, of Rogers, lived approximately 10 miles away from where officials found his body.

His family told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that Daniel had gone to his friend’s property to bow hunt alone.

The police said they responded to a 911 call shortly after midnight at the Sundance Golf Course. They found Daniel's body hanging from a strap on his deer-hunting stand.

Daniel’s sister told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that her brother was very familiar with the property.

Daniel grew up in Rogers and was a maintenance employee for the Osseo School District. He leaves behind his wife and 10-year-old daughter.

Investigators from the Dayton Police Department and the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office are looking into the case. An autopsy has been scheduled for Monday.

Dayton is 30 miles northwest of Minneapolis."

Several things stand out for me. One is "Alone"- "found after midnight" and "Hanging from a strap in his treestand" He also left behind a Wife and 10 year old daughter-- This is a very sad story.

Some Saftey Reminders come to mind here.

1) always let someone know where you are going and when you will return.

2) Always use a Full Body harness - but be aware that without some sort of way to take the pressure off of your legs and get circulation going you can still die from hanging by a harness. (The old waist/chest strap are far more likely to cause death.) Use as short of a lead off of the harness to minimize the drop distance. ( It will also make for an easier return to the stand if you fall).

3) Cell phones are a good thing to take on your hunts if you have service. Keep them on and accessable.

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of Matthew Daniels.

Please be safe out there

I saw an article about the strap thing once, and I was shocked at how fast one can slip into unconscienceness (sp?) after falling and hanging by your harness.

Ya its a very sad story to hear. I hope everyone understands how dangers it all comes down to.

That's why you need to get a full body harness in which you are suspended by multiple contact points on your body. The newer ones put you more in a sitting position and greatly reduces the risk of blood being cut off to any part of your body.

My 1st harness I owned and began wearing in the 80's was not well designed and I always though how easy it would be to get twisted in the long strap that extends to the tree. But it seemd to be one of the better ones back then. My newer one is designed different than the old one and I feel more confident in it's ability to do what it is designed to do (just a bear to get in and out of) and I am buying a Hunter's Safty System vest (harness) before next season.

Wear a well designed body harness when in a stand. They can be expensive but WILL save your life.

Good Luck!

Ken