Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moose-Hunter

muzzleloaders in a shotgun zone?

19 posts in this topic

On the way back from deer hunting yesterday, a friend of mine said that it's legal to use muzzleloaders in and during a shotgun only season. I know big game caliber handguns are legal in shotgun zones, but are muzzleloading rifles? confused.gif

Can anyone cast some light on this?

Thanks....

Yep its legal, and you can scope the muzzleloader too.

Ya what BLB said. Know guys who have done it for years...

Well, well, well.... I see I have a bit more to learn as far as muzzleloaders go. Looks like a few more toys are in order for the T/C Encore!! grin.gif

Thanks for the info, guys!!!

What you need is the Nikon Omega scope and a GOOD set of quick detach rings/bases. I have Talley Manufacturing's set on the Omega and they are supposed to be the best out there. They come off easy after the season and you should be pretty good to go putting them back on (although of course you always need to check that its still zeroed in when you re-mount it...). Put it on for the shotgun season, take it off for the Muzzleloader season!

Its a crock if ya ask me...

It's perfectly legal to use a muzzleloader in a shotgun zone. I did it this year with Sandmannd, and have done it in the past. When we were stopped by the CO, he made no mention of me using a muzzleloader other than asking if there as powder and lead in the barrel.

A crock? How so? confused.gif

Yeah I don't get why its a crock. Its harder than slug hunting. You only get one shot. I think it is the farthest thing from a crock. But that is just one mans opinion.

i always thought that muzzy was a waste of time. But man, after i have done it for the last two years, i will have to say different.

You look at shooting in a whole different matter. Where you only have one shot, and you have to make sure that you take the right one. It by far, makes you a better hunter in the long run.

My guess is that by saying "crock," he is referring to the scope laws. Scope during firearm season is legal, but not during muzzleloader season.

If that is the case, I agree with him.

I dont know why guys would put a scope on it when there going to have to take it off after shot gun anyways. But maybe im wrong.

I have a scope on mine, but that is becuase i use it for shotgun season.

Some of the new in-line muzzleloaders are very capable of shooting 200/250 yards with a scope.Show me a slug gun capable of that.These modern muzzys are approching rifle statis!

Last year I remember one shotgun owner claiming 200 yard plus shots, with his shotgun-slug combo.

Just don't forget that you will need a firearm license during the firearm season. This is different than the muzzleloader license during muzzleloader season. I'm sure that you probably already know that but I'm sure it happens out there.

thanks for the information. Im sure it does happen out there. Muzzy today are alot different then they were in the past. There is no doubt about it. Techn is come a long ways in everything in the world today.

If by crock he meant allowing a scoped muzzy in slug gun season because it could easily have a much more effective range in many cases, then I would disagree. You still only get one shot in most cases unless you have a patient deer and a fast reloader. Still, one shot is all you should need in many instances.

If he means a crock by not allowing a scope on a ML during ML season, then I disagree. It's supposed to be a primitive weapon season and let's face it, today's modern MLs are about as primitive as a nuclear weapon. The ony difference is you get one shot, which if you have good placement is all you should need. Allowing scopes on MLs during ML season would be the same to me as allowing a laser scope on a bow, or rather one that would actually place a red (Contact Us Please) on a deer so there's no need to put that much effort in aiming.

I guess the point I was trying to make was the range aspect, that shotgun owners were getting 200yd. + performance, similar to what some people claim as in the modern muzzle-loaders.

I understand where your coming from. Its a different game now with the new tech that is going on here in the world today. New guns all the time, with alot more power.