• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Military Preference Question

Shoot2Kill

Hello all - I love what MN does for military veterans with the free license and service preference - I think all states should do the same. I spent the summer in Iraq with my Air National Guard unit so I qualify for these benefits and I have a question regarding the 2008 turkey applications.

Here is what the application says -

A Minnesota resident who is currently serving, or has served at any time during the past 24 months, in active service as a member of the United States armed forces, including the National Guard or other military reserves will be given first preference to qualified service members or veterans. Applicants must complete and submit a Preference To Service Members application after they apply for lottery and before the drawing. Application is available at all ELS agents or DNR’s web site (www.dnr.state.mn.us.). It will cost $3.00 to apply for a spring wild turkey license.

How would this work if I was wanting to apply with a group -(1 other person who has 1 preference point). The application says the person with the lowest preference point determines the preference points for the group. Would the same apply with the military preference? Basically what I'm asking...I have a guaranteed tag if I apply on my own - can putting in with a group risk my chances of being drawn? Is one preference point all you need to draw typically so we shouldn't have to worry about it? Have any of you service members run into this?

Gobble, gobble...it's only 5 months away.

Shoot2kill:

First off, thanks for all you do. I have a best friend over there right now, and I can't wait to get him back over here for some more spring turkey hunts.

Regarding your tag situation, it sounds unique, and I'd run it past several people at DNR HQ.

That said, I'd seriously think twice about applying as a group. It can be a great thing if you both need to be on the trigger-end, however, I like keeping everyone's odds up, maybe even having him apply for a differen zone/time-period, and hunting together both times. You get a two-for-one deal. You can only "hunt" with your own tag one of those two-times, but maybe the other time you call, or videotape, etc.

Joel

Those are some good points - thank you. We have decided to apply separately just to not jeopardize the one for sure tag.

I can't wait for spring!