Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swimstein

3-4 Inches Ice on Elephant Lake

9 posts in this topic

A few ice fishermen were out last week. smile.gif

Melgeorge's Elephant Lake Lodge & Resort will have an ice fishing house on the lake this year and will have food and lodging packages.

How is the day bite for walleyes on Elephant? Is it more of an evening bite?

I am not an ice fisherman, so need to get info from others to answer your question. I do know the ice is up to about 8 inches with about a foot of snow cover.

If the bite is the same as during open water, it is definitely an evening bite. For me, mornings on Elephant have been good only for smallies using surface baits.

Bill,

Is there a decent winter crappie and sunfish bite there?

If so, when do they bite best?

Cliff

I am told the crappie and bluegill bite can be very good, and two ice fishermen reported evening has been best time of day recently. That doesn't surprise me at all.

While I do not ice fish, maybe others that fish the same lakes summer and winter can tell us whether the fish on those lakes generally behave somewhat the same. At least regarding the hot spots and the time of day.

Thanks Bill!

I will have to venture up there this winter and give it a try!

Cliff

Talked to a friend this evening that has a cabin at Elephant. He said that for years the best crappie bite has been about 1 hour before dark and after dark.

Thanks for the info!

A couple of guys caught 10 nice crappies last evening on Elephant; two largest ones were 15 inches.

Problem now is that there is 8 inches of slush on top of the 8 inches of ice.