Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goose89

ice predictions for Dec. 7th W/E

6 posts in this topic

Anyone think there will be enough ice to walk on on the larger lakes by Dec. 7th??? Weather forcast calls for sub-freezing temps, but nothing REAL cold. Any thought / predicions on how fast / slow the ice will go on, esp. with larger lakes (Reno, Osakis, ect.) in mind. Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the temps and wind. Reno is actually pretty shallow, so it usually freezes faster than some of the bigger ones in the area. My guess is that you'll find ice by Dec 7.

Wind being the major factor, if we can get a few calm nights this week the lakes will lock up and the cold, forecasted temps should put a minimum of 4-6 inches by the date you're looking at.

I'm an optimist though so time will tell.

December 7th will be a day of infamy, eh?

As stated, wind will be the key factor. If we can get a lid on some areas, ice will thicken. Otherwise it will form and then break again with wave action.

I heard Osakis had ice forming quite a ways out up on the north end. Don't know if it all held with the south wind following. Reno usually gets some action along the highway even when the main body is still open.

It was about 5 years ago or so, on Dec. 12th (a sunday) I know on that one day a friend was golfing at the country club, another friend water skiied on Latoka, another friend had skaters out on Darling, and there were anglers fishing through hard houses on Reno...all in the same afternoon!

love minnesota weather!

I remember that year, my dad and I were out on carlos in the boat that same weekend catching some nice eyes. I don't know if it's true or not but I was told that there were a couple of guys out on Reno this weekend sitting on buckets. If you ask me it's a little early yet, but I don't know maybe I value my life a little more than some grin.gif

And I was ice fishing on Darling!!! smile.gif