• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help! very frustrated

vrodharley77

Ok here goes, we are field hunting in SE metro and have had good success in past years for geese, this year we are 0 for 10 days of hunting. Cant get the geese to even give us a second look, we have 4 dozen mixed decoys, flocked heads and bodies and motion stakes, we are hunting out of blinds and the spread looks good, here is the problem they want to land in the chiseld fields in front of us where we cant hunt, we are sitting on alfalfa and clover what can we do>????????

Do you use flags??? Many times good flagging is the ticket to getting geese to give you a second look.

Time to move.. Your not going to get them to leave a higher carbo feed just to land for ya.. Corn is optimum for now. Beans only as a second choice this late in the year. Study your birds a little closer you will see they change feed prefference as the temp changes..

After the fields get covered with snow and you have new birds in the area you might have a chance.. Myself I would have been on the move the next day;.

Get out of the hay field. Geese are looking for: first corn then beans. I have a field in the SE metro that's half field corn/half sweat corn. They still are reluctant to come int.

The geese you are hunting might want to be sitting water.

A couple years ago we had some "big time goose hunters" rent a field right next to the river we were hunting and set up close to 150 decoys and we had 3 guys sitting on the river with maybe 25 floaters and we pulled geese from them all morning we shot our 15 and they didn't fire a shot. So if you have a good body of water near there give it a try.

How's your calling?

If the geese don't want to be there (your field), they won't go there. The geese have their little routine down now. They know where the food is and thats about the only thing on their mind, plus they are very aware of decoys, pits, layout blinds, and bad calling after being shot at for 2+ months now.

You're going to either need to get into the fields they are currently feeding in, or really have your calling game down to pull them close to you.

If there are other hunters in the area, you may have to mix up what you are doing to give the geese a different look. If everyone else is hunting over 3-4 dozen full bodies, that might not be the right thing to do. May have to go less, or go more to be different.

Just some ideas.

Hey guys where are you hunting in the Se metro? I also hunt in the area. Email me (Contact Us Please)msn.com. Just intrested to see what others in the area are up too. Not looking for a hunting spot. Just some bird activity info.

Saturday a few flocks flew around in the SE metro, thought I would have seen more mallards around; only a few flocks seen. Should only get better as more lake lock-up.

• 4 months later...

use flagging or more decoys. even if the decoys are shells and such just to up the numbers.