Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cliff Wagenbach

Vermilion Food and Fuel

11 posts in this topic

With the ice fishing season only a few days off I would like to remind all of the ice fishermen that will be fishing Vermilion and the other local lakes that Vermilion Food and Fuel has greatly expanded their tackle and related fishing equipment department!

Dave has one of the best stocked tackle departments in the area and carries all of the hottest lures used on Vermilion.

He also has some of the best live bait available in this area.

Vermilion Food and Fuel is a FM sponsor, which is also a great reason to shop there! laugh.gif

Good Fishing and be safe on the new ice!

Cliff

smile.gifI will second Cliff's recommendation. Ask for Dave or Steve and have a chat and exchange stories. We are lucky to have it so close to our great lake. You Muskie-Heads will be impressed with his selection of 3lb. baits you can toss around...LOL smile.gif

Thanks for the great comments! I have bait coming in on Thursday so should be set for those of you who want to get out this weekend. Remember the 2 F's of Ice fishing....Don't be First and Don't be Furthest, okay someone has to be first and someone has to be furthest, but it just won't ever be me!

I stopped in on my way to the Post Office Monday, to retrieve my mail and I would like to add that they have very good coffee, and the counter person was very friendly.

Have not started to fish yet but when it's time, that is where I will go for what I need. Unless I am with Cliff and then I will just use what he has grin.gif. Thanks buddy.

Darrell Larson.

Since their lineup has been expanded, I've been making it a point to stop in on my way to or from Ely and I've been impressed with the selection. Also, I never wander around for more than a minute before someone offers me help. Excellent store, excellent service. grin.gifgrin.gif

Too bad they are on the wrong end of the lake

OK, I agree that the tackle shop is 100 times better than before. The clerks are generally very friendly and overall it is a very nice store.I do have one issue however, I have bought bait there several times and have been very disgruntled with the count. I swear some of the clerks can't count to 12. I have actually told myself not to buy bait there but because of convenience to my cabin I wind up going back. I wonder if they ever considered selling bait by the scoop rather than a dozen at a time. This would really help out the clerks and avoid any bad counts. Just a suggestion.

Tominator,

I'm glad to hear your comments believe it or not. It is always a difficult task to get people what they consider a fair count and to be candid I work with my Clerk's on making sure that they are providing a fair count when they sell bait. Next time you're stopping by ask for me and I'd be more than happy to show you what you should be getting when you get a dozen minnows or so. I really do try and provide a good value for your bait.

I'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're in. We can have a contest, I'll pay you $5.00 for every minnow under a dozen and you can pay me .25 for every minnow over a dozen.

I hope to see you soon.

Quote:

I'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're in. We can have a contest, I'll pay you $5.00 for every minnow under a dozen and you can pay me .25 for every minnow over a dozen.

lol, that's a good one.

Bait count always seems to be a touchy subject. I was there once (selling bait). Some people wouldn't have been happy with 4 dozen when they bought 1.

I almost wish there was a standard "scoop" size across the board. That way I'm not having to ask for more, or disappointed in what I was given, yet not breaking the baitshops back if someone is just dumping them in.

I tell ya one thing, it's not to often you see a baitshop owner answering to some critisim. A lot of them would just ignore it.

Just for that alone, I'll stop in next time I'm up there Dave. cool.gif

I second that!! My brother ans I always get bait there, even when it was under previous management. always seems like a fair count!! Pike suckers get spendy when the little snakes just grab em for a while frown.gif see ya soon!!

I've talked to Dave a number of times when I've gone in there, though I'm not sure he knows who I am. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

He's been helpful and friendly, and as mentioned selling bait is not an easy job. Dave, I expect there'll be quite a few HSO/FMers stopping in on the way to Ely over the Jan. 26 weekend to hook up with bait for the Burntside Bash, too. grin.gifgrin.gif