• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weber Grill - Cleaning Burners?

MuskieJunkie

Question

I have a Natural Gas 3 burner weber grill that is about 3 years old. The front burner lights with the igniter like it's supposed to but the 2 rear burners take about 30-60 seconds to light (the colder it is the longer it takes).

I am thinking the burners need to be cleaned, is that something that you are supposed to do, anyone ever had issues like this? Thanks for the help.

4 answers to this question

The burners shouldn't need to be cleaned but you do need to check them. I take the grates and flavor bars out of my Weber every spring and thoroughly clean them. While I'm there I brush off the burners, light them and make sure they're good to go for the season.

If your weber is stainless steel and you have an electric oven put the grills in the oven then do a self clean. It does an amazing job on cleaning them.

Eurolarva has an interesting solution to what may be your problem. When my burners don't light or light sporadically what I have done is take off the flavorizer bars, take the wire brush I use for cleaning the grate and use the bristles to poke into those little holes the gas comes out of all along the burners. Seems they get narrowed, probably by basting solutions, fat dripping etc.

I'll try the idea of piggy-backing on the self cleaning oven though.

When I rotisseried the turkey last week, I had the front and back burners lit with a flavorizer bar over each one. All other flavorizer bars were removed and the grates. The drip pan was sitting on the middle un-lit burner. It tipped over and some drippings went on the burner. When I used it Sunday, the middle burner lit but a few of the slits were plugged. I took the tip of a filet knife and cleaned them up. Now everything is back to normal. The burners must be pretty plugged to not light. Maybe something is obstructing the gas pipe that feeds these burners. Anyway, take all the grates and flavorizer bars off and light the grill. You will easily see if the burner slits are clogged.