Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayne123

Ice

35 posts in this topic

How is the ice doing? My guess is some lakes should be covered now.

Some of the smaller lakes have froze over and the bigger ones are out 50 to 100 yard with ice so with the temps going down at the end of the week things so get solid all over grin.gif

we didnt gain much on the open water areas today, with the wind, but that should have brought the water temps down a bit more too, making it easier for the ice to form when it does calm down.

Thanks for the reports. If you think of it an update next week sometime would be great.

Wayne

Some of the bigger lakes in the area froze over on Thanksgiving Day.

I will be getting out a bit today. hopefully we will find some deer activity with the new tracking snow!

the sub zero temps this morning should get serious about freezing all but the areas deepest lakes, like deer, trout, pokegama.

hopefully I will have some pics to boot.

Went acoss the bridge on pokie this a.m. kinda dark still but could see alittle snow on top of the ice on the west side that wasn't there yesterday. It went out as far as i could see but like i said, it was still kinda dark. Just hopin for good ice before we get much snow.

thanks for the updates! Looking forward to the new spearing season!

got a better look at the ice on pokie-west side of bridge was froze out a few hundred yards but the wind may be takin some of it off. The water wants to get hard but the wind won't give it a rest. It should ice pretty fast once (if) the winds stop. Will be headin north of town today so i can check on some other ponds.

I appreciate the updates...especially Pokie. Thanks for the posts.

Deer lake (co. rd. 19) is open and the steam rollin off it was quite a sight. Someone was on McKinney lake this morning-looked to be fishin,but didn't have his sled to close so i'm thinkin the ice isn't ready for me.

How did Moose Lake look across from Deer Lake on #19?

it is completely frozen. it just froze a couple days ago.

we walked out from the south landing today. about five inches from what I could tell, in the south bay area.

we might be able to slip out in front of the swimming beach. that has been frozen for quite a while now. maybe 10 days?

maybe more?

it will be a few more days before we see people out in the off shore structures though.

little lakes up here have people fishing on them as of yesterday mckinney sylvan bay little balsam I am guessing we are making plenty ice

Jason

Wayne, Pokie is mostly open, which is hard to believe given the 10 below windchills. The wind won't let it lock-up. the weather channel reports that the wind won't get under 10 mph until monday, so maybe by mid-week it will be game on.

Any ice reports on Bass lake? Want to fish the lower lake next tuesday sticking to the shallows by the shoreline.

Thanks to all for the updates. I am hoping to be up there next weekend.

Calvinist,

I own a resort on the upper end of Bass and the lake just froze over last night. The lower end froze over earlier in the week but I have seen a couple of people fishing the shallows in close on that end. I wouldn't recommend it on my end just yet.

Basslaker,

Thanks for the report.

Anybody have ice reports on Grave?

Thought I would give a quick ice report for Pokie, its kind of lengthy.

Wendigo bay-2" of ice under slush and 10" of snow, and a guy went through in a four wheeler, he's ok

In front of Kings landing, 5" of ice lots of snow, a few houses out and four wheelers.

mishawaka bay- 4" of ice lots of slush and snow, no houses which is odd since its usually the first bay to see spearers.

Sugar bay- went out 50ft. and broke through.

Bottom line, Be extra careful and don't assume anything.

I have this uneasy feeling that the ice angle is going to get a work out this winter.

I wonder how it does in deep snow?

please be careful out there.

Jigglestick, I bet your right. I can't remember the last year the ice was this awful. I have been checking the ice pretty regularly and despite the cold temps. it doesn't seem to be making very much. Even with thick ice I'm not sure I will be able to get out with my four-wheeler....RATS! I think my wife needs a snowmobile for a stocking stuffer.

Dan, Thanks for the report-hope you didn't get to wet. Talked to a fella who flew over pokie today and said most of the lake looks wet from the air. Thought i would check it out tomorrow off moose pt. but i'm not expecting to get very far.Life jacket, Ice picks, and a long rope attached to my wife on shore,Man,i hope she still like me.

Quote:

Man,i hope she still like me

You better tell her your planning on buying some great Christmas presents before you set foot on the ice grin.gif