• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TACKLE BOX AND MORE BAIT SHOP

Is there anyplace to buy bait around St. Joe or Avon besides JM Speedstop in St. Joe? There minnow selection is minimal and they usually have it roped off/closed by late afternoon, when I get off work and want to go fishing.

Nels

I would suggest quitting the job. It would give you more free time to fish when the bait shop is open. The fishwrap factory doesn't need you anyways grin.gif

Is there a phone number for the shop? I just moved up here and dont really know my way around. were abouts is this shop at? Thanks

The hardware store on the main drag in Avon always had minnows. I haven't stopped this winter but they did have them.

BAIT DEN WOULD BE HAPPY TO SERVE YOU STOP IN. 3267 ROOSEVELT RD ST CLOUD 257 0162 CASTINDAD

Quote:

I would suggest quitting the job. It would give you more free time to fish when the bait shop is open. The fishwrap factory doesn't need you anyways

TS - Not a bad idea!!! Just hunt, fish, drink beer, and maybe go to a class now and then....ah yes the good ole days. grin.gif But then again I wouldn't have any money to buy minnows. confused.gif

Nels

PS. Get to class or I'm telling your Dad!

Quote:

I wouldn't have any money to buy minnows.

Just hang out at the landing and get minnows as guys leave. There ya go.

I couldnt agree more Fisher we have been there several times .... Drive over there for bait summer and winter and guess what CLOSED!!!!! B4 the Bait Den opened we would than have to turn around drive all the way to Stop Light and than have them ask me (in the summer) would you like oxygen in your bag?????? We will be going to the Bait Den , where they are very friendly people and they stick to there hours of operation.... They have a very good variety and fresh live bait.... I would get more stickle backs than anything at the Tackle Box also.... Its The Bait Den for us from now on.... JMO

[Please read forum policy before posting again. Admin]

If you have concerns about specific posts use the "Contact Us" link to report the post.

Geez sorry I certainly didnt meen to offend anyone... I was just shareing my personal expierience with the Tackle Box as were a few other people.... Its like any other store or restaraunt if you enjoy it and dont have problems than go there.... If you do have problems as I have and the way it looks a few others have to, I chose not to.... That simple... Once again sorry I thought this site was to share information I certainly didnt meen to offend anyone.... Jamie shocked.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

None of the baitshops mentioned in this thread to this point have been sponsors. Finding a good baitshop is important to ice fisherman for fishing reports, ice reports and of course bait and tackle. For that reason we've allowed the discussion to continue, to this point.

If discussion is not civil, links are posted or it becomes spammy it will be deleted.

Play nice.

Sorry local st cloud bait shops you lost my business for life. I went to scheels today and all i have to say is dang. Bought a dozen larger suckers for $5, it was a hefty bakers dozen and then some. Just cant beat there price and quantity they give you. Sorry guys

Hey guys, I'm new to the area. Is Stop Light Bait the closest bait shop to Sartell? Any others close by?? Thanks, IS

just south of the paper mill at the gas station and also the BP station in sauk rapids.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.