Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badfish

Small Game hunting

3 posts in this topic

Anyone ever try to hunt small game with there bow? As I was walking in from hunting today I scared up a rabbit it stopped at about 20yds away.

I didn't want to waste a broadhead on it and I didn't have any blunt tips or judo points so I grabbed my arrow with a field point on it. I drew back and let the arrow fly and watched the rabbit do a complete flip and then lay motionless on the grass. It was a blast and it made my confidence with shooting soar.

I will be out there more often now chasing these little guys around with a stick and string...oh don't worry I did have my small game license.

Try getting ahold of cheaper arrows, then look for some judo points to tip them with. That way when or if you miss the arrow will stick straight up in the air

I might get out with my longbow and some blunts later on this season. Bunnies are a lot of fun with archery equipment, but they are really really tough to hit on the run. Squirrels are also fun, and they might sit still long enough to give you a stationary shot.

The one thing I don't like about judo tips is that they are kinda spendy. I shoot wooden arrows, and when it comes to small game, I make "bunny busters" out of cheap dowels. I tip them with 9mm shells (or some other caliber that fits over the tip) and then drill a couple holes and run nails through the tip, so that it functions in much the same way as a judo. Not quite as well as a judo, but way, way cheaper.