Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PikeFerret

Need ice fishing advice

13 posts in this topic

I would like to take my wife up ice fishing on Mille Lacs for a couple of nights. Wondering if anyone knows of any reputable resorts that put you on fish and also would accept a dog in their sleeper houses? I've never been in a sleeper on Mille Lacs and don't know what to expect.

For those that have also fished Red Lake, would I be better off making the trip up there? I live in the cities and I have fished there before and know what to expect.

Open to any advice or ideas.

look at the links on the top of this page. appledoorns and hunter winfields are very, very top notch operations. Not sure about the pooch though, you'll just have to make some calls and check.

Ryan,

Thanks for the kind words!

PF,

As Ryan said, give us, or Hunter Winfield's a call. Not sure if they have a pet policy or not. We will accept your pet with certain restrictions.

Fished both. If you don't mind the extra drive and you have the time, guess where I would recommend?

I'd be giving lybacks ice fishing a call, Eddy will treat you very well & very helpful, But I think where ever you go I think the dog issue will be tough. otherwise just about every resort will be inviting. good luck, my wife enjoy's the hard water much more than soft water. wink.gif

Lyback's is tough to beat early in the season. We always have excellent catches out there in December, but Appeldoorn's is also a class location and will put you on fish. Can't comment on the pet however.

I would recomend wilderness warmth i know Jay and Amber allow dogs they run a great place and their prices are very friendly they are going to be setting up a web site on here and sponser this site,they are getting a new tollfree number but i know you can call Jay at 763-286-7396 and he will take very good care of you

We'll allow pets with a pet deposit of $200 on a major credit card. We have 2 new wheel houses for rent - we'll be at the St. Paul Ice Show if you want to check our houses out!

Check out our website: www.hunterwinfields.com for more info.

Keep Casting!

Margie Landis

Proprietor

info@hunterwinfields.com

320-676-1100

Just reading the post and Ive been planning on renting a shack for a few winters now I check out your website and had just a couple questions

1) When renting a 24hr. time slot does it go from noon-noon or how does that work?

2) I was thinking early ice. Saturday Dec. 29th or one of the saturdays shortly after. Does Mille Lacs usually freeze over by that time?

3) What do anglers out your way have best luck with Perch or Walleyes? Im not really looking for the trophies I just wanna see my buddies get into some action so they'll come back for more. grin.gif

4) How far in advance do you prefer that we reserve a date and what do we need? Credit Cards over the phone, or stop in? (Im in Mora almost every other weekend)

Sorry to get back to you so late - I was having internet issues and the resorts been busy - we have all houses out on the lake and some openings yet this saturday - all our weekends in January are booked, we do have some openings yet in February - we do need a credit card to charge for 1/2 the reservation at the time of booking.

And, we are catching a mix of perch and walleye....

Harry, are you guys driving out to your houses, how far out do you have them?

I am going to hunter's on the 7, 8, 9 just wondering what i should bring and colors and sizes.

rumbees

People are driving cars and trucks out - our road is about 1 1/2 miles out - close to the mouth of the bay - there is a lot of slush just past us so we aren't going any farter than that yet. People are catching a mix of perch and walleye.