• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Skim Ice!

On my way up to the shop today I drove by the area lakes. Most of the smaller shallower lakes and bays have skimmed over. By the looks of the forecast we should be making some ice over the next week. The temps look like they are going to drop. Time to get ready!

Jason Erlandson

Perhaps some shallow tip up action for pike will be available next weekend? The 10 day forecast looks very promising.

Are Pelican and Gull still wide open? When are you all thinking you will be able to get out on the big part of those lakes?

4 below zero on the west side of gull this am.. Lake is covered in steam.. Ice is just starting to form around

shore. It now all depends on the weather... lake is about ready to freeze....just needs to stay cold.

Quote:

4 below zero on the west side of gull this am.. Lake is covered in steam.. Ice is just starting to form around

shore. It now all depends on the weather... lake is about ready to freeze....just needs to stay cold.

What's the word on Round Lake? Ya think there is a chance of getting out on the first break by Saturday?

Round was still wide open this morning.

371 Bay on North Long has some open water this morning still. The Center portion of the lake was steaming like crazy

West Twin still had some open spots. Edna was still very wide open.

Still a ways to go . . . .

By the looks of Round this afternoon, it looks like it has skimmed over. There may have been a couple of spots that were still open in the middle, because there was a little steam. Even Gull looked like it had iced up quite a ways out. Either it was glass calm or it had a skim of ice. The bait tanks will be full for the weekend. If we have enough ice even better.

Jason Erlandson

Gull is pretty much wide open this afternoon.... the wind came up and did away with the skim ice that was there this am.. We now need a calm cold night to get the ice really going.

I stopped out at ROund this afternoon, on that little access on 371. I walked out about 10 yards and the ice was giving way. I broke the ice to check it and there was about an inch. I grabbed a rock and slid it across the ice and watched it dissapear about 50 yards away. As long as it calms down out there we should be good to go this weekend!!

I hear guys are out on Edward..........not this guy.

I know my little lake by me has been froze since before thanksgiving.

There was a guy out on north long this afternoon near 371, he was a ways out, about 1/2 mi. Round is frozen, and gull is totally open.

Yes, I saw two portable out in the middle of the 371 bay on N Long this afternoon, wow. Gull looked like it might freeze over soon this AM, but by this afternoon the wind had it wide open and choppy. Round did look like it was sealed though. I think I'll wait till early next week to test the ice. Can't wait!! laugh.gif

I chipped some holes yesterday a.m. and found 4 inches on 371 bay of North Long, 2 inches on Round and 2 inches on Upper Gull. I would say with it being only 1 degree and windy, that it's growing pretty fast now!

Walleyedan

I have fallen through way to many times to risk it anymore. I wait for mid December at the earliest. I am kind of a chicken. Last time I went through I had my hunting life jacket on, but man that takes your breath away. I fell through Leech lake when I was 11 years old and froze my cloths to my body as I ran back to the house. It just isn't worth it. I definitely don't need fish that bad. Be smart out there guys and be careful. Take the proper precautions. Don't trust anyone’s report but your own because things can change so fast out there. Check your own ice. Good luck.

put my house out yesterday, with wheeler. Found 5 inches on a big local lake. Should be a good weekend around here, so good luck smile.gif