• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out since the snow on Sat? I am hoping things didn't get too slushy and sloppy.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• shamrock7

• upnorth

• BEEGONE

Yeah it is slushy in some spots. Just mainly deep snow! More slush to come soon I am sure...Fishing was slow for us Sat and Sun. Managed only a perch and few eyes with one in the slot and another 4lb+ lost 1/2 out of the hole......Hopefully today will be better. We have about 5-6 inches of ice.

We managed 3 on the ice Sat and lost 3 on the way up and missed more than a couple of short strikes. How they can take a minnow head off without at least getting a hook in their mouth baffles me crazy.gif

I took the sled this morning across Pike Bay and fished the McKinley area.

Lots of slush and deep snow in Pike Bay. Hit a few spots of slush between the narrows and McKinley also.

Iced seven walleyes and missed a couple more in 13 feet of water. Only kept 1 and had 1 snap my 6# leader.

Most of them hit either a 1/8 oz. perch colored spoon or Jigging Rap.

Cliff

I ventured out onto the South shore of Big Bay a little ways yesterday with my snowmobile fishing in the morning.

I found 6-1/2 inches of ice there over 20' of water.

I managed to ice 7 walleyes and kept 4 for supper! grin.gif

No slot fish but all nice fish that were 14" to 16-1/2".

A white/glow Demon jig with a pink spot was my best presentation on my dead-stick and a perch pattern spoon with a whole minnow got the most bites jigging.

Cliff

What size/type of minnows are you using? We usually use small pike suckers on tip-ups and crappie minnows on the rods.

I have been using mostly medium sized rainbow chubs.

Cliff

You are very welcome!

All FM members should feel free to ask for info. on the ice conditions and the bite on this forum, or e-mail or call me.

I will try to keep you up to date as far as what I have been finding.

Cliff

Quote:

Cliff,

You're the best!!! Thanks for all the detailed and timely info over the years.

I will second that. I do have a question for you about choosing this weekend or next. It looks like it will be a little chilly this weekend and a lot warmer next. Whe we go up we usually setup tipups and chase flags. How's the ice thickness of the ice out of Stuntz? I know you said in an earlier post that you haven't been in that area yet, but thought I'd check.

I still have not been to the Stuntz Bay area, but I am sure there are people fishing that area. There is probably the same ice depth there that there is in the McKinley area.

I heard that someone ventured farther out into Big Bay a couple of days ago and that there was only a couple of inches of ice out there! shocked.gif Be careful if you venture out past the other fishermen and stay away from moving water areas!

Cliff

I will be heading up the weekend of 12/14 and was wondering if anyone had any updates on the West side. More specifically Head of the Lakes bay, Hibbing point, etc. Any word on Ice and any fishing reports? Lake Vermilion Trading co is reporting Walleyes in 18-26 feet, anyone actually fishing it? As always the info is much appreciated. Thanks All!

Not sure about the deeper water, but I have not been able to locate much action in 10-15 FOW in our normal early ice spots......hopefully the deeper water is where they are.

I did well in 20' a couple of days ago on the East end.

If they are not shallow there they probably have already moved deeper or have changed their feeding times.

I did best from 9:00am to 12:00 noon. crazy.gif

Cliff

Quote:

Quote:

Cliff,

You're the best!!! Thanks for all the detailed and timely info over the years.

I will second that. I do have a question for you about choosing this weekend or next. It looks like it will be a little chilly this weekend and a lot warmer next. Whe we go up we usually setup tipups and chase flags. How's the ice thickness of the ice out of Stuntz? I know you said in an earlier post that you haven't been in that area yet, but thought I'd check.

I talked to a friend that has been fishing the Stuntz Bay area yesterday and he said that there is a lot of slush in the bay! tongue.gif

They are getting some nice fish in that area though!

Cliff

Talked to a guy at the Mckinley access on Saturday that made it out to Birch Island, 5 - 1/2" out there with some slush pockets on the way. We had about 6" just outside the Pike bay narrows. Alot of water on the ice after you drill a few holes.

hello ice fishing friend,

My parents live on the end of little sweden rd. My buddy and I were just up fishing 12/8 ice was 6". We watched first sleds to role by hibbing point going to The Landing for a beer. Bad part was fishing was lousy. tried 12'-28'.

Will be back 12/15 for another go!!! drop me aline for more info! [email protected] grin.gif

Just had one of my customers call stating that they were drilling holes off grassy Point and had been consistantly getting 8-9" but not 50' away hit a 4" spot.

Beedone and I went out and drilled a bunch of holes today to see what was up with this darn ice. Found an average of 8-9" most everywhere. Max was about 12" but the scary part is there is still some areas out there that only have 4-5". I hear that the snowmobile club is considering getting the trail staked next weekend. Personally, I think that you should be ok on most of the ice with a 4 wheeler or snowmobile but it definitely is not safe to be driving a vehicle out there UNLESS you have drilled holes and know exactly how much ice is under you. And a hole or 2 is not going to tell the whole story. Some of the 4-5" stuff we found had 8-9" within 50' of it. And there are no springs in the area to cause a different freeze rate.

Now I hear that they are talking about a possiblity of another storm for this weekend. We need cold, not snow....I know, I know..........We need snow too, but it would be nice to get 16" of ice thoughout the lake then they can turn up the snowmakers.

Don't take this ice for granted....It will get you when you get careless.

And I don't want to have to go out there and drag someone out of the water.

Heard an ATV went through on Burntside in 80 fow. No one hurt. Also heard a rumor of a SUV going through at McKinley. Anyone know if this is true?

I also heard a rumor if a vechicle thru the ice on Vermilion but do not know where. crazy.gif

Cliff

Has anybody heard anymore about the vehicle going through the ice?

I have not heard anything else about it. It may just be another rumor. frown.gif

Cliff

There was a 1/2 ton pickup with plow go in off Birch Point. He was close to shore plowing a skating rink for the kids. Only dropped in 1 tire but apparently 2 more tires went through before he could get it out. This was on the Daisy Bay side of Birch Point down by the Public Access. 8-9" of ice where it went through. Don't know about the rumor of one going through in Stuntz Bay.

Thanks for all the updates!

So it sounds like I should be OK with a sled this weekend?

Maybe hit the West end around the Wakemup area.

Heard it was a SUV that went through in Stuntz Bay. Only the front end went in and the occupants were able to climb out the back. Not sure exactly where in Stuntz.

Dtro,

I have been using my sled and ATV on the south side of Big Bay safely.

You should be ok if you avoid narrows, etc.

Cliff