Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamrock7

Current Ice

136 posts in this topic

Thought I would fire up a new thread to ease some of the congestion on some of the other threads.

As I look across the lake, I can see no open water other than a couple of areas way out there that are probably just cracks that have let water up on the snow. I will check what we have when I get outside and report back. If you look on the LOW forum, someone reported full ice as far as they could see from Long Point yesterday so we surely should be well on our way to winter fun.

Shamrock7,

Thanks for the report from that part of the lake!

It is looking good so far on this end also. We may be walking out soon! laugh.gif

Cliff

2" of ice 15' from shore. Probably be plywood walkers off McKinley park this afternoon. Count me out!!!!!!!!

Quote:

2" of ice 15' from shore. Probably be plywood walkers off McKinley park this afternoon. Count me out!!!!!!!!

Me too! shocked.gif

There is not a fish in the lake worth dying for!!

Cliff

Signing off, Headed south the the Cities as daughter is in the Miss Minnesota pageant, then off on a road trip to Florida. Your guys will have to depend on BEEGONE and Heartattack to keep you up to date on our end. Back in a couple of weeks.

Randy,

Best of luck to your daugfhter!!

Cliff

I heard reports of a solid 3" quite a ways out on Fri.

I had 3 degrees in Tower on Thurs night.....

Anyone care to speculate if the ice out of McKinley is going to be walkable by next weekend? I am really getting the urge and I need a fix wink.gif

I think that we may be able to get out of McKinley by next weekend. I am going to check that area out today and will let you know what I find.

Cliff

Cool, thanks Cliff!!

Thanks for the updates Cliff, BEEGONE, Shamrock7, DTRO!

Just checked the forecast...

Tuesday and Thursday's highs are going to be in the high teens!

I should have an ice update for the middle of the lake sometime tomarrow.....Hopefully will get to wet a line!

I checked the ice conditions out of McKinley this morning.

There is open water starting at around 300 yards from the landing.

I walked out around 175 yards checking the ice all of the way and had 3" of solid clear ice.

I plan to try fishing that area tomorrow morning. Not the best spot but there may be a few fish there.

I will let you know tomorrow night how I did.

Cliff

eagleeye.jpg

We got ICE cool.gif Straight from the Lake Vermilion Eagle Eye Cam.

Well, I made it out and back this morning! crazy.gif

The wind had broken up around 50 yards of yesterday's ice so I could not get out as far as I wanted to get.

I went out only around 100 yards from the landing and had around 12 feet of water there.

I managed to ice 3 small walleyes and 2 tulibees by 9:30am, then they quit biting.

Better ice making weather predicted for the rest of the week.

Cliff

Great to hear Cliff!

We had about 2 inches of ice in blackduck bay this afternoon....should have more tomarrow!

Does anyone know where the Eagle eye cam is located on the lake? I have always been curious

Bud

I believe it is on Hibbing point, in Head-o-lakes bay, pointing sort of east towards Metsa point and the north end of Taylor's Island (roughly).

The camera is located on Hibbing point. It is pointed NW towards Jacobsen's point.

Thanks for the correction. It points more north than I thought.

How do I monitor or view that Eagle Eye camera? My cabin is close to the end of Jacobson's point on the south side so i might be able to see it. Kind of curious what it looks like, how often it gets updated, etc.

Thanks

Check under (Contact Us Please)

I believe it is right there.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

easiest is to google for eagle eye webcam

Anyone have any new ice reports and ice fishing reports coming out of Mckinley Park? How much snow fell last night?