• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fisher/martin/bobcat season

walleye101

Fisher/martin/cat season opens Saturday. The most common set for all three is the 220 baited cubbie set. Anyone have any tips for safe setting to avoid non-target catches?

Leaning pole sets are pretty darn good, not sure how they would work on a cat though.

a 220 is also a bit large for marten, you may find some of the marten reaching in your cubbie and getting the bait without ever hitting the trigger, or if it does hit the trigger (if you extend iwth extra wire) that you don't get a quick clean kill like you would with a 120.

Might want to do some leaning pole sets with some 120's for the marten.

Up here I will not use a connibear for cats because the voles will destry a cat pelt in no time, but you have daily check laws so it should be no problem. One thing you could and should do if you are worried about non-targets is you should use footholds for the cats instead of connibears.

I catch alot of my cats in a dirt hole set. I catch plenty of fisher in the dirt hole too. The ground isn't frozen to bad, you could punch a few dirt holes in and give it a try.

That would work. I actually caught and released three cats early from coon and fox sets. So I know there are cats around. Was hoping to set a few low maintenance sets now that could be checked every few days (legal with 220's) but do not want to risk a non-target catch. Killing someones pet or hunting dog is not worth catching a couple cats. I may try a few elevated pole sets. Probably not the best for cats, but better for my piece of mind. May try some fresh dirt holes as well but will need to keep them close for daily checks.

hey everybody!!!! hope all is well... say leech you got any pics of your dirt hole sets of cats and fisher....last year i caught my first fisher on a log set across a creek it was mainly for coon and i was suprised to find a fisher in it when i came up to it but yeah that is my story

Sure I do. I think I posted some last season that caught some cats. Maybe I can pull them up. beabers027-1.jpg

Here is one. This set here caught several reds and a couple of stinkers and one of the cats in my avitar.

How's everyone doing on fisher's? I have got 3 so far and an otter. Got 2 in 2 nights and an otter during the day. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the fisher's killing all the coons in there area???

Nice job on the fishers, have a pic for us?

Raining here, i pulled all my sets, will get back out when it freezes up again.

HunterLee,

IMO, fishers aren't big enough to kill a raccoon with maybe the exception of young ones in the spring and summer. Fishers are pretty much scavengers but I did read somewhere that they will kill and eat porcupines and I did see one in the woods carrying a cottontail rabbit once.

I don't have time to trap this year so I borrowed my 160's and 220's to a neighbor kid and he caught a fisher last night. First animal he ever caught!

I didnt get the pictures of the fisher's, and i had to sell them today. Got 55 for each of them, i did speak with the dnr guy that did the tagging, he said they are tough on the small ones, and they love to eat kittys, which i don't mind. Also they love squirrls and rabbits. It was a fun year and i guess its done here except a few snares for yotes, as the 8 or so in of snow are covering everything up. Might get a few weasel boxes out too, but time will tell.

WHAT!!!! ONLY 55!!!!!!

i personaly seen a fisher fight a coon on a creek bottom 2 bow seasons ago it was intense!!!!

FISHER got the upper hand